Wattpad Original
There are 14 more free parts

Chapter 41

STELLA

Killian had a weird look on his face when I stepped out of the bathroom.

Tense.

With a sprinkle of anguish.

For some unfathomable reason, it made me flare with heat, something blistering hot and liquid hitting me in the abdomen so succinctly it made me dizzy. A tremor broke out across my exposed skin and I resisted the urge to pull on the beachwear cover up I had clasped in one of my fists.

The air grew thicker and hotter between us, the few feet of space that separated our bodies tangible and alive with a charged energy I couldn't put my finger on. But it was there and alive and wholly unnerving.

I cleared my throat, awkward and hot, and absently fidgeted with one of the straps digging into my hip. The bikini was new- a white, complicated number with a plethora of straps that intersected at my waist, hips, shoulders and between my breasts. It had been an impulse buy, what with not much time left for me between Christmas and travelling, so the small amount of shopping I did manage to complete had been hurried. Regardless, I managed to snag a few items suitable for a luxurious tropical holiday, one of them being this particular ensemble.

In retrospect, judging by Killian's hard expression, perhaps I could have spent a bit more time choosing something less... revealing. I was also sure I didn't have the body type to pull off so many straps that were smooshed into my soft rolls and I became abundantly aware of that fact now.

I adjusted a strap over my shoulder and averted my gaze. "I, uh..." I didn't know what to say that would break the tension stretching taut between us. How could I feel awkward about the way I looked and turned on at the same time? I fiddled with another strap, this one directly under the white bralette and hugging my ribs. "I guess it's a bit small. I'll... put on something else."

"No."

His voice, clipped, sharp and rough, made a shard of need scald me from the inside out. Frozen, I could only take in Killian as he stood before me, his eyes switching over my shoulders, my breasts, and every part of my body that was exposed. Right then, I felt like he was seconds away from stalking over and hauling me over his shoulder, caveman-style.

There was nothing directly indicative of this fact: it was merely my suspicion. A sixth sense that came alive with him before me, looking at me in the way that he was.

And, Lord help me, the idea wasn't offputting.

His eyes dragged back up to my face and when his gaze latched onto mine, a muscle in his jaw tensed. He made a gruff noise, a deep sound from the base of his chest, and pulled his lips tight. "No, don't," he repeated and some of the command had left his voice. "You look... good."

"Oh." I blinked, once, twice... the compliment was innocuous enough, but I couldn't help feeling that there was more meaning to it. "Thank you." I took a deep, steadying breath and clutched the lacy cover-up to my chest. Absurd, really, the sudden need to hide myself... this man had seen me naked a few days ago.

Killian glanced at the camera he had in his hand. "So... what do you need me to do? You'll have to show me how to use this thing."

I shook off whatever had settled between us, refusing to allow it to intrude on my conscience while I dealt with Killian. I needed his help and I was grateful for it- that's all that this was, nothing more. Nothing more would come of it. Determined, I moved over to Killian and took the camera from his hands, ignoring the charge of heat that shot through my fingers when our flesh touched at the brief interchange.

"I'll just set it up for you," I said, moving over to the patio outside. "All you need to do is aim and click." Doing just that, I tested the camera and the shot myself a few times before handing it back to him. "I just need a few in the pool and then it should be fine." I met his gaze, feeling uncharacteristically reticent. Normally, I did all this alone. I didn't have to second-guess what I was doing or how I was going to pose in front of an audience. I could just set a timer, get the shot, and be done with it. An audience made it somehow more personal... and from an outsider's perspective I could see how I would come off. And because it was Killian, I didn't want him to think of me as conceited as I strutted around the pool with a camera aimed at me.