(9) Arya's Birthday

"I'm so tired, Pete."

"I know."

———

Hogwarts was much colder to Arya in the few days that followed.

She was shunned almost everywhere: at the Hufflepuff Table, the common room, and her dorm. The last few nights, she had cried herself to sleep.

The only shining hope that she was clinging onto was her friends. They stuck with her. It didn't matter how bad things looked for her, they were always there.

"Well, I'm not going anywhere," said Harry, after Arya had confided in him. A tear had almost escaped her eye due to his words and she almost knocked him over with the force of her hug.

However, the only time they weren't with her was between unshared classes. With their different schedules, it was hard for them to part with her. But Arya said she'd be alright.

Once the bell rang and class was over, Arya left, trying to keep her head down. She dug around in her bag until she pulled out her copy of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them to distract herself and be further hidden from anyone around her. She tried not to hear a group of girls gossiping about her, talking loud enough for her to hear them as she walked past.

"First Potter, the kings, and now this?"

"I know! It's getting ridiculous."

"What a snake. She should've gone in Slytherin."

Arya pretended that she didn't hear anything and kept walking, although tears started stinging her eyes.

She had almost passed through the most crowded part of the hallway when an interruption came in the form of an arm reaching over her shoulder and snatching up her book. She turned around and saw the last person she ever wanted to see.

Alexander.

"Oooh, Fantastic Beasts, eh? I read this back in my 3rd year," he said, examining the book.

Arya was panicking now. All eyes were on her and the Slytherin. "Alexander, give that back. Now," said Arya, clenching her fists.

Alexander furrowed his eyebrows. "What's wrong?" He noticed the redness in her eyes.

"Nothing if you'd give me my book back."

"Okay..." He handed her book back. "Seriously, what's wrong?"

She moved closer so he could hear her whisper. "I don't want to talk to you." She turned and started walking. But before she could get far, he stopped her by grabbing her arm.

"Arya, please," he said. Arya looked back at him and saw the pleading in his eyes.

"Let go of me," she said firmly. She felt the intensity of everyone's gaze upon them, but Alexander didn't seem to notice.

"Arya—"

"I said," she raised her voice, "let go of me."

His grip loosened but he didn't let go. Instead, his hand traveled down to hers. Arya felt indignant. She was breathing hard. She could feel hatred emanating from the crowd. Arya jerked her hand free from his grip.

"Leave me alone," she said coldly, before turning and walking off.

~

That night, Arya quietly retreated to her dorm room. After she changed into her nightwear, she sat on her bed and heaved a quiet sigh. Her housemates were still shunning her, so nobody acknowledged her presence.

In the midst of everyone else talking to each other, her eyes trailed over to the nightstand beside her bed. Laying on top was her wristwatch, a box of jewelry, and a book. All the usual things. But what lay on top of the book wasn't usual at all.