(11) The Aftermath, Sort Of

Peter sighed after what seemed like a moment of deliberation. "Arya, I— know. About what happened."

———

Peter jumped and spun around, seeing Victoria Astor. He let out a sigh of annoyance. "Look, I don't have time to be bothered with you right now." He pressed his ear against the door.

"Wow, that's ru—"

"Shhhh!" He interrupted, trying to listen to what Arya and Blackburn were saying.

Astor looked confused. "Why are you so interested in—?"

"Shut up!" He hissed. He could only just make out what they were saying. Arya was trying to get some kind of information out of Blackburn, but Peter couldn't tell what.

"Let me listen," Astor came up to the door.

"No—!" It was too late. Astor mimicked him and pressed her ear against the door. Peter let out a sigh of frustration.

"I can't hear anything," she said.

"I can't either with you talking."

"Move," she said, then pushed him off the door.

"What are you doing?!"

"SHH!" She cracked the door open half an inch. "There, that's better."

Peter stood closer to the door. She was right, it was better.

"—can't lie to you, can I?" said a voice with an American accent. It was definitely Blackburn.

"You can keep trying, but no, you can't," said Arya. Peter smirked in amusement at her response.

"Wait, Hale is there??" Astor whispered. "Oh, this is good."

Peter quickly became worried that Astor would do something irrational.

"Look, I really can't tell you."

Before he knew it, she was suddenly out the door.

"ASTOR—!" He hissed, but she didn't acknowledge him. He watched through the small gap as she kept low, stepping slowly and quietly.

"—Nothing you could possibly say to make me hate you, Alex."

Peter clenched his jaw hearing Arya call Blackburn by a nickname. Were they really that friendly with each other? He kept listening and watching. Then suddenly, Astor stepped on a branch and a loud crack sounded from it. Peter swiftly backed away from the door.

After a few long moments, something suddenly hit the wall on the outside and closed the door with its force. Peter's eyes widened.

"WHAT DID YOU JUST DO?!" He heard Arya yell from the other side.

"SHHH!" He heard the reply. Then they spoke in hushed voices and Peter couldn't make out what they were saying. He didn't know what to do. Should he leave? Should he stay and see what else would happen? Before he knew it, the door handle jiggled and he panicked. He quickly hid behind a nearby suit of armor and watched as Blackburn carried Astor's unconscious body around the corner.

Peter stayed there, shocked. He then tried to fit the story together in his head, his mind racing with all of the possibilities. But then the door opened again and a timid Arya came out, scanning the hall for any signs of life. Peter stood still as a stone wall and kept watching. After she looked around for a few more moments, she quietly jogged off.

Breathing a sigh of relief, Peter stepped out. He had gained so much information and he had no idea what to do with it. His mind started racing again.

Had they been interacting in secret beforehand? What had Blackburn done that Arya wanted to know so badly?