(12) Quidditch Affairs

As she passed through an empty corridor as a detour from the crowd, she felt secure knowing that no one would follow her.

But...

———

Peter was surprised when Angelina Johnson, the Captain of the Gryffindor Quidditch team, approached him.

"I need to ask you a favor," she started. "One of our chasers is sick, and we desperately need a fill-in for the game against Slytherin. What do you say?"

Peter was suddenly even more surprised. He had barely any experience and had watched more practices than been in them. "Really? Why me? I don't play."

"You seem like you have great potential. Listen, the game is in about two weeks. If we train hard, I think we can get you playing well in no time."

Peter considered that for a moment. He was interested in the game, but playing? That was a whole other level.

But, playing...

"I'll do it," he said.

"Perfect! We'll meet tomorrow morning in the pitch, 6 o'clock, sharp."

"I'll be there," he smiled.

"I promise you won't regret this," she smiled back and walked off.

"What was that about?" Asked Arya, who had taken her place next to him at the table.

"I'm going to be playing in the Gryffindor vs. Slytherin game soon."

Arya gasped excitedly. "Really??"

He nodded with a smile.

"Peter, that's excellent!!" She almost knocked him over with the excitement of her hug.

~

When Peter told Edmund, his brother was ecstatic.

"My brother, playing Quidditch? Fantastic!" Edmund celebrated, and Peter was met with much encouragement. Even though they were rival houses, Edmund said he would still be cheering his brother on. But from the back of the bleachers, of course.

As the days went on, Peter was quickly worn out from all the practicing. He had one-on-one practice with Angelina on the weekdays, and then practice with the team on the weekend. He secretly preferred team practice because it was less exhausting than having Angelina constantly kicking his behind by blocking his goals when he practiced with her.

That resulted in him struggling to stay awake for classes, but he tried his best to keep his grades steady. And with the pretty much daily practices, he was constantly busy and barely had any free time. He felt awful that he was so busy and tired because he was unable to escort Arya to her classes when it was his turn. 

"It's alright, I'll be fine," she said.

It didn't help him to feel much better, especially when she had actually been hurt when he wasn't there last and he partly blamed himself for it. "They won't try anything because of what Matilda said. Plus, I'm sure they remember what happened to Malfoy when he didn't lay a finger on me," she grinned.