(10) Private Business

"There's nothing you could possibly say to make me hate you, Alex."

"You'd be surprised."

———

Alexander held a finger to his lips and he gently removed his hand from Arya's mouth.

Arya was stunned, then angry. "What in the bloody—?!"

"Shhh!"

Arya became quiet. She then realized how close together they were with only inches separating them and plastered herself against the wall behind her to avoid contact.

"I need to talk to you," he said in a hushed voice.

"Can't this wait for some other time?!" She hissed.

"No," he said.

Arya looked at him incredulously. "I said I didn't want to talk to you."

"I know, and I'm sorry for whatever I did, but we need to talk."

Arya sighed. She decided to put her anger aside for now. "Okay, fine. What do you want?"

"What's been going on with you? And why wouldn't you tell me the other day?"

"Maybe because we were in front of sixty people who were all staring at us!"

"Why does that matter?"

Arya resisted the urge to slap him. "Oh, only because I've been ostracized because according to everyone else, I'm a sl—" she paused, "a harlot."

Alexander looked dumbfounded. "What? Why?"

"Because of—" she paused. She wanted to say 'Because of you,' but decided against it. "Because of the rumors going around about both of us. A Slytherin girl named Victoria Astor started it all."

Alexander's expression instantly changed to one of anger. The drastic difference between his facial expression and calm tone sent a chill down Arya's spine. "Victoria Astor did this?"

"Y— Yeah, do you know her?" Arya became nervous.

"I've... heard of her. She's bad news. How did this happen?"

"She— she saw you putting the flower in my hair. She went on about how romantic she thought it was—"

"She really said that?!"

Arya nodded.

Alexander grumbled as he cupped his hands over his face. "And she told everyone?"

"Well, I imagine she probably told one of the most known gossips and that's how it spread, but yes."

Alexander looked unamused.

"Sorry," she said.

After a moment of thought, Alexander spoke again. "I have to go."

"What? Why?"

"I'm sorry, but I can't explain right now. I'll see you later," he said before leaving Arya incredulously confused.

"What just happened?"

~~~

Before Arya had to go into her next class with Matilda, she explained what had happened earlier.

"And he just scarpered?" Matilda said, matching Arya's earlier feelings.

"Yeah. I haven't seen him since. I don't know what he's up to, but I hope he isn't getting into trouble."

"I wonder if he's talking to Astor..." Matilda said, deep in thought.