ONE ([0.007]): Des Temps Pour Mourir

[CLICK]

ARCHIVIST

Statement of Julien Beaumont, regarding so-called uncanny visions from a deck of tarot cards retrieved from an unknown package. Original statement given December 12th, 2013. Given by Liam Plecak, September 20, 2016.

Statement begins.

ARCHIVIST (STATEMENT)

I've never believed in the more mystical, supernatural stuff; I've always found myself dismissing ghosts and vampires as mere fairy-tales. I was practically sceptical of the whole "foresight" for tarot cards. There was no way those things could guess your future; t-they were just cards, right? That's what I thought until I got a weird package on my doorstep, one day. The package was small, and brown; followed by a rectangular shaped sticker, a yellow outline with a starry pattern reading: "It's more than just cards." Now, from this point, I wanted to dispose of it, but it drew me in,

I didn't have any memory of ever ordering it online or anything; it just showed up one day. Even stranger, there wasn't any company name or an address. No, nothing! I couldn't find anyone who wanted the package; so my last resort was to open the package. Inside was a pristine, light grey bundle with many tarot cards inside, each having depictions of simple icons like swords, hearts, wolves, etc. At first I thought they were normal, r-right? But no, I was wrong.

When I first used them; they seemed alright, no malicious, malevolent energy or anything like that. Just the usual kind. But each time I used them, that was when I noticed things getting out of hand. Something hallowing just below my reach. You see, Each time I looked at the icons, it had shifted into accurate depictions of my future, as if it knew me. I saw the photos happen in real-time: my old work-place building getting replaced by a new pizza place, my pay getting a raise, some of my friends throwing a party for a specific occasion, etc. It felt good knowing these cards were helping me.

That didn't last long, though. Throughout my days, I started to get flashes coursing through my mind, even clips of names for places and faces of people I didn't recognize. Sometimes I did! Sometimes, I didn't. It started to creep me out, getting visions of someone else's memories and fates. They became more vivid, more real, each time I dreamt. Eventually, it reached a turning point, cursing me to dream of gruesome situations. I could feel their pain, their screams surging through me; even after I'd woke up. I grew very terrified each time I dreamt; my desire to sleep grew even weaker as days and months drifted past.

I grew to hate these tarot cards of mine. I wanted to get rid of it forever; making sure it would never come back to me again. I went to my storage room, somewhere in my house, grabbed a small, medium box from one of my nearby shelves and went to find the tarot cards I've kept. I've decided that my torment I had was enough. That it was no more. I placed the cards in the small box, taped it up, then threw it outside.

Tomorrow, I didn't see it. I've never seen it since. Their eyes still seem to bore deep inside my skull.

ARCHIVIST

Statement, well, en... ends.

There seems to be no records of where the tarot cards came from. Suppose it might've been an old and run-down company from the 60s or 80s that made these cards, but the statement giver didn't really give much details to describe the cards, aside from the icons and stuff, so nobody really actually knows where what time period these cards were from. As for the statement giver, their status seems to be a bit confusing, because, uh, well, they seem to be changing names and their identity all the time. This person may actually be dead as we know it.

Now...

[SOUNDS OF DRAWER OPENING, LOTS OF SMALL CLUNKS AND CLANGS FOLLOWED BY LIAM GASPING]

ARCHIVIST

Where did... where did my pen go? Darn it!

(going out of his office) Bryce! Return my pen after you're done using it!

[MOMENT OF SILENCE BEFORE BEING FOLLOWED BY RISING STATIC]

[STATIC ABRUPTLY STOPS AS THERE IS CLATTERING PRESUMABLY FROM A KEYBOARD]

where the hell am i|

[CLICK]