ONE ([0.016]): My Heart is Buried in Venice

[CLICK]

[INT. OUTSIDE AMELIA'S HOUSE; IN HER NEIGHBOURHOOD, AMERICA]

[AS THE TAPE RECORDER CLICKS ON, THERE IS A LITTLE BIT OF INDISTINCT CHATTER, AND THE BIRDS CHIRP PEACEFULLY. A BREEZE OF WIND WHOOSHES PAST AS A CAR ZOOMS sALONG.]

[A KNOCK ON THE DOOR, CHARLOTTE SIGHS.]

[THE DOOR OPENS, A GASP]

AMELIA

Char-Charlotte? What are you doing h--why are your eyes covered in mould, mushrooms in your hair, and your hands all dirty? What happened to you?

[THE NEXT TIME CHARLOTTE SPEAKS, HER VOICE IS MORE HOARSE AND RASPY.]

CHARLOTTE

It's, uh, a long... story. Listen, can I come in?

AMELIA

Come in. Let's get you all cleaned u--

CHARLOTTE

No need, please, (cough) Scents, (strained) I'm fine.

AMELIA

Charlotte, the more you refuse help from other people, the more you'll struggle. So just come in, and tell me what's happening.

[THE DOOR CLOSES; FOLLOWED BY A DISTANT CLICK FROM ANOTHER TAPE RECORDER.]

CHARLOTTE

(quipping) You sound more like Liam now.

AMELIA

(haha) Well, guess being his girlfriend for four years finally paid off. His personality rubs off of me now.

CHARLOTTE

(the shittest quality ever) You what--?

AMELIA

(huh what i didnt say anything ;3) Nothing.

What did you want to tell me?

CHARLOTTE

It's about Liam, he's a lot weird and eccentric around us, Something's off.

AMELIA
Well, you can't necessarily blame him. I mean, if you were in his shoes, you would think that unsuspecting someone's going to kill you, even after that 'ambush'.

CHARLOTTE

(overlapping) But this is different, Scents. He won't tell us a single thing, and on top of that, this institute has enough secrets to uncover the truth. So it's either we confront him in an intervention or it's nothing, because whether Liam abides by bad decisions, he's taking a risk and bringing everyone down with him.

AMELIA

That was just one time!

CHARLOTTE

"Just one time", well it's not like he'll do this thing again, Amelia! If Liam continues prying, that might affect Owen and Bryce all together. We can't let Liam stalk them, nor accuse them of being malicious. We have to help him before he delves in some sort of rabbit hole; unwanted knowledge there for the taking. Before it's too late.

[THERE IS A EERIE MOMENT OF DEAD SILENCE]

AMELIA

Before--Charlotte, what the hell do you mean?

What--

CHARLOTTE

Before we all lose our humanity.

[CLICK]