chapter 1 |beach day|

|3rd person pov|

The blue hedgehog and its partner, the ebony hedgehog, headed to the beach with their friends. The ebony hedgehog kept a watchful eye on its partner, who didn't know how to swim. "Sonic, stay still. You're making it hard for me to put on sunscreen on you" the ebony hedgehog said.

"Chillax, Shadow. I don't need all this sunscreen," the blue hero replied. His partner retorted, "Why are you in such a hurry? You don't even know how to swim." The ebony hedgehog said

"They're going to play volleyball already, and I don't want to lose points," the blue blur said, prompting a chuckle from his partner. "That's your reason? Fine, just hold on so we can finish faster," the ebony hedgehog said. The blue blur crossed his arms and conceded, "Fine, make it quick. I don't want to be last." After the ebony hedgehog finished applying sunscreen to the blue hero, the blue hedgehog gave his partner a kiss and immediately joined his friends to play volleyball.

|shadows pov|

I watched Sonic play with our friends, then I set up our beach umbrella and picnic blanket while preparing lunch, all the while keeping an eye on Sonic. I got startled when he jumped behind me, hugging me and trying to grab one of the barbecues. "Sonic, that's for lunch. You only get three barbecues for this," I scolded him, irritated. He kissed my cheek, knowing I couldn't stay mad at him. "Don't stay mad, darling. I can't let you frown all day; it gives you wrinkles," he said, kissing me again, making me blush, especially at the nickname darling.

I finished cooking the barbecues, and we both sat on our picnic blanket in the sand. I pulled Sonic close to ensure he was under the umbrella, and he began eating while I held him close. "Are you thirsty?" I asked, taking some sodas from our cooler, to which he nodded, saying, "Yeah, my throat feels like a desert." He immediately started drinking the soda.

|Sonic's pov|

I drank the soda Shadow gave me and exclaimed, "Ahh, that's refreshing!" I reached for more barbecues, but Shadow took them away, saying, "You've already eaten six barbecues, eat something else." I shrugged and reached for a chili dog, but he took that away too, insisting, "I meant something healthy." Shadow frowned at me, and I protested, "But there's nothing healthy to eat on the beach, Shadow. Now give me my chili dog." He then took out a salad from our bag and said, "Eat the salad. You can't eat meat all day long and drink soda." I scoffed and crossed my arms.

"You eat the salad, or I will take away your chili dog privileges for a week," Shadow said firmly. He was serious. I reluctantly agreed, "Fine, I'll eat it," and started eating the salad with a frown. Shadow sighed, seeing me upset and not talking to him, and said, "Fine, just at least eat half of it, and you'll get your chili dog after. You know I just worry about your health." He petted my quills, and I admitted, "No, I shouldn't be the one who's mad. You were just looking out for my health. Thanks for that, Shadow." I hugged him, and he hugged back. Then, my friends called me to play volleyball again.

I looked at Shadow, who nodded at me with a smile, giving me permission to go. I got up and headed to join them to play. "Sonic could you get the ball" vector asked me to which i agreed with while they set up the volleyball net However, on my way back with the volleyball, I dropped it, getting startled by some running kids. It rolled into the water, but Vector and Espio were occupied, as was Shadow. I didn't want to bother them and went into the water to retrieve it. Unfortunately, the seawater pulled it further away, and I followed it. After I got the ball, I heard Vector scream my name, and as I turned around, a massive wave hit me, breaking my ankle and trapping one of my feet. Just before everything went black, I heard Shadow calling my name.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~