chapter 6 |the search is over|

|shadow's pov|

My heart raced as I stared at the stranger who stood before me, his azure quills shimmering in the soft cafe light. His emerald green eyes met mine with an air of genuine apology.

"Oh, I'm sorry about that. I didn't mean to bump into you," he said with a slight smirk, his voice strangely familiar. It was unmistakable it was Sonic the one we had been searching for all this time.

My initial frustration dissolved into a mix of surprise and disbelief. Rouge had warned me not to let my guard down, but seeing Sonic in the flesh, in the most unexpected place, was a shock beyond words.

I managed to stammer out a response, "No worries, it's... it's alright." I quickly collected our scattered order, still grappling with the surreal moment. Sonic nodded, offering a friendly smile, and continued on his way.

As I returned to our table with the order in hand, Rouge emerged from the restroom. She noticed the bewildered look on my face and asked, "Shadow, what happened?"

I took a deep breath, trying to steady my racing thoughts. "Rouge, you won't believe this. I just bumped into Sonic." Her eyes widened in astonishment.

Rouge and I exchanged knowing glances. Our relentless search for Sonic had led us to this unexpected encounter. Little did we know that this chance meeting would set in motion a series of events that would change the course of our mission and reveal secrets we never could have anticipated.

Rouge's eyes sparkled with a mix of excitement and curiosity as I shared the surprising encounter with Sonic. She leaned in closer, her interest piqued. "Sonic? Are you sure, Shadow?"

I nodded firmly. "Positive. It was him. Blue quills, green eyes, and that unmistakable cocky tone. It has to be Sonic."

Rouge grinned mischievously. "Well, isn't this a stroke of luck? We've been searching for him for months, and now he's practically walked right into our path."

I couldn't help but share her excitement. It felt like fate had finally brought us to the brink of achieving our mission. "You're right, Rouge. This could be our chance to find out what's been going on."

We discreetly observed Sonic from our table as he chatted with some locals, sipping on his drink. The temptation to approach him and inquire about his recent activities was overwhelming, but we needed to be cautious. We didn't know what he had been through or who might be watching him.

Rouge pulled me over to their table, smoothly introducing us. "Hi, we just came here. We're new. Can you guys tell us more about Green Hills?" she inquired to Sonic and his friends, who kindly agreed.

"Sure, have a seat," the pink hedgehog, Amy Rose, welcomed us. Rouge seated me beside Sonic, and Sonic's friends began to introduce themselves. "I'm Amy Rose, and this is Knuckles," Amy said, pointing at the echidna.

"I'm Sonic the Hedgehog, and this is my buddy, Tails," Sonic chimed in, ruffling the two-tailed fox's fur. Tails then turned his attention to us. "And who are you two?" he asked.

"I'm Rouge, and this is Shadow," Rouge replied casually, offering a fabricated explanation. "Just taking a little break, like a vacation."

Sonic leaned in, his eyes focused on me. "Oh, your name is Shadow? Why do you look so familiar, like someone I've already met before?"

Before I could respond, a green hedgehog pushed me aside and sat beside Sonic, putting his arms around him and planting a kiss on Sonic's cheek. Sonic wiped it off but didn't say anything. My heart sank but full of fury as I wondered who this new arrival was, and whether he and Sonic were together.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~