chapter 8 |A secret|

|Shadow's POV|

My heart raced as I continued to eavesdrop on Sonic and Scourge's conversation inside Sonic's apartment. Sonic's desperate plea for freedom had ignited my determination to uncover the truth about what Scourge had on him. I needed to know what kind of leverage Scourge held over Sonic, and more importantly, how we could break Sonic free from his grasp.

As I strained to listen, Scourge's voice grew more menacing. "You know what I have on you, Sonic, and you know what I can do if you try to leave."

I couldn't make out the specifics of their conversation, but the mention of blackmail sent shivers down my spine. Whatever Scourge was holding over Sonic, it was clearly a powerful weapon that kept Sonic trapped in this toxic relationship.

Just as I was attempting to get closer for a better listen, a creaking floorboard beneath my foot gave me away. I froze, realizing I was on the brink of being discovered. I couldn't risk jeopardizing our plan to help Sonic.

Sonic's apartment door opened, and I barely had time to react. Without looking back, I silently retreated into the hallway and made my way back to the hotel where Rouge was stationed.

|Rouge's POV|

Back at the hotel, I continued my conversation with Knuckles, doing my best to divert his attention away from our true intentions. I asked about his adventures and his connection to Sonic, all the while keeping an eye on Tails, who remained wary of our presence.

Just as I was getting closer to finding out more about Knuckles and Sonic's friendship, then i got a message from the G.U.N commander followed with shadow bursting into the hotel room, his face tense with urgency. I knew something had gone wrong.

Shadow quickly shut the door behind him and whispered, "Rouge, I almost got spotted by Scourge. He's got some serious dirt on Sonic, and we need to find out what it is without getting caught."

"Im sorry shadow but you have to do this on your own for a while i need to go back home G.U.N commander needs me for a mission" i said looking at shadow and he nodded "i understand rouge" shadow said, i grabbed my things and left the hotel leaving shadow to do his mission to sonic

|Shadow's POV|

With Rouge gone on her G.U.N mission, I was left to continue my mission to uncover the truth about Sonic's relationship with Scourge on my own. I had rented an apartment next to Sonic's to get closer to him, all the while building trust with Sonic's friends.

Amy proved to be the friendliest and easiest to win over, and after gaining her trust, I turned my attention to Tails. He was more skeptical, being Sonic's closest friend, but over time, he began to accept me as part of their group.

After several weeks of blending in and asking questions that made it seem like I was simply trying to get to know them all better, I had gathered valuable information about Sonic and Scourge's relationship. The red echidna, Knuckles, remained mostly indifferent to my presence.

One day, while we were all hanging out at the cafe where we had first met, I seized the opportunity to dig deeper into Sonic's past with Scourge. "So, Sonic," I casually inquired, "how did you and Scourge meet?"

Sonic's reaction was telling, and his friends immediately picked up on it. Tails spoke up, "Yeah, Sonic, you never told us that story."

Sonic hesitated, glancing around nervously. It was clear that he was reluctant to share this part of his past, and the curiosity in his friends' eyes only heightened the tension.

I kept my expression neutral, waiting for Sonic to reveal what he was hiding. This could be the key to unraveling Scourge's hold over him and bringing Sonic back into the light of his true memories.

|Sonic's POV|

My heart raced as Shadow's question hung in the air. I knew I couldn't reveal the truth about Scourge to my friends, not after all this time hiding it. The memories of how Scourge had taken control of my life and my fear of what he might do if I spoke the truth weighed heavily on me.

I cleared my throat, trying to appear nonchalant despite the anxiety gnawing at me. "Well, guys," I began, my voice betraying my nervousness, "Scourge and I, uh, met a while back when we were both, you know, just wandering around."

Tails, Amy, and Knuckles exchanged curious glances, clearly not satisfied with my vague explanation. Tails, ever the inquisitive one, spoke up, "Just wandering around? That doesn't sound like you, Sonic. There's gotta be more to the story."

I swallowed hard, desperately searching for a believable lie. "Yeah, yeah, there's more to it, but it's kinda... complicated," I stammered, hoping my friends wouldn't press further.

Amy leaned in closer, her eyes filled with concern. "Sonic, if something's bothering you, you can always talk to us. We're here for you."

I appreciated her support, but I couldn't risk dragging my friends into the dangerous mess that was my life with Scourge. "Thanks, Amy, I appreciate it. But for now, let's just enjoy our time together and not dwell on the past."

The tension in the air lingered, but my friends eventually dropped the subject, respecting my need for privacy. As we continued our day together, I couldn't shake the feeling that Shadow's question had unearthed a dormant truth that threatened to resurface.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~