A HARD DAY'S NIGHT

A/N: the parts that are narrated like at the beginning of every grey's episode will be written on the right. The narrator will be Tara (she's British btw) unless I state otherwise at the beginning of the chapter.

I've always wanted to be a doctor

I've always wanted to be a doctor. Many said I didn't have what it takes, which obviously meant I had to prove them wrong. You could say foster care made me kind of screwed.

I woke up in my tiny dusty apartment naked, with a headache and next to a guy whose name I don't remember. I love vodka but I don't think it loves me back. I tried sneak out of bed covering myself with a blanket but when I got out of the bed he groaned.

"I think this is yours" he said lifting up my bra.
"God this is humiliating."
"Why don't you just come back down here and we'll pick up where we left off?"
"No, I'm going to be late on my first day... so kindly sod off please."
He sat up starting getting dressed. "So, ah, you actually live here."
"No"
"Oh"
"Well yes, kind of."
"Oh. It's nice. Little dusty. Odd. But it's nice. So how do you kind of live here?"
"I moved here a week ago from London. This place is just temporary until I can find something better."
"Oh, and how come you moved?"
"you know what, we don't have to do the thing."
"Oh. We can do anything you want"
"I meant, the thing, exchange details, pretend we care...look, I'm gonna take a shower, okay, and when I get back out here, you won't be here, so, um, goodbye...um..."
"Derek" we shook hands.
"Right, Derek. Tara"
"Tara. Nice meeting you"
"Bye Derek."

I arrived to the hospital and the chief is surgery was already giving his speech. Luckily he didn't notice me arriving late.

"Each of you comes here hopeful. Wanting in on the game. A month ago you were in med school being taught by doctors. Today, you are the doctors. The seven years you spend here as a surgical resident will be the best and worst of your life. You will be pushed to the breaking point. Look around you. Say hello to your competition. Eight of you will switch to an easier specialty. Five of you will crack under the pressure. Two of you will be asked to leave. This is your starting line. This is your arena. How well you play? That's up to you."

This is going to be fun.

We were changing in the locker rooms a doctor was calling names indicating us to go check on our resident.

"Only six women out of twenty." Said a petite blond. Meredith
"Yeah. I hear one of them's a model." Said another. I think her name is Cristina.
"Oh that'll do wonders for the rest of us." I said
Seriously, like that's going to help with the respect thing?" Agreed Cristina
"Cristina and Tara, right?" Said Meredith
"Which resident did you get? I got Bailey." I asked them
"The nazi? Yeah, me too." Said Meredith and Cristina nodded
A guy started talking. "You got the nazi? So did I. At least we'll be tortured together, right? I'm George O'Malley, uh, we met at the mixer, you had a black dress with a slit up the side, strappy sandals..." we exchanged a look. "Now you think I'm gay."
"Uh-huh." Said Cristina as we walked away leaving Meredith to deal with him.