DENY, DENY, DENY

3rd POV

The key to surviving a surgical internship is denial. We deny that we're tired, we deny that we're scared, we deny how badly we want to succeed, and most importantly, we deny that we're in denial.

Izzy, George and Meredith are drinking at the bar.

"I don't know. When I left, Cristina said she was ok." George says.

"Nobody goes what she went through and is totally over it by now." Izzy says.

"Cristina can." Countered George.

"She's fine." Meredith agreed.

"Too fine. She's cold. So is Tara, the guy she was in love with turned out to be married. And I don't think she's shedded a single tear. And Cristina, She lost a baby. She lost a fallopian tube and she's acting like she doesn't even care. She's all "Hello, I'm totally fine person." Ok, they are my friends too but they are acting like they have no emotions or warmth, like they are missing a soul."

"No, they're hardcore. They got ice in their veins. God, they'll make a great surgeons."

"George!"

"It's true. You show no weakness, you make it to the top."

"Some people just keep their feelings to themselves." Added Meredith

We only see what we wanna see and believe what we want to believe. And it works. We lie to ourselves so much that after a while, the lies start to seem like the truth.

*

Bailey and the interns are doing rounds. "I want everyone focused today. With Cristina out, we're short an intern and I have a feeling it's gonna be one of those days. And Karev, see the chief by the end of the day." She said.

"What for?" Alex questioned.

"Do I look psychic to you? He is the chief. He asked. You go."

Alex looked at Tara who shrugged. "What did he do now?" Meredith whispered to George.

"Maybe he gave the chief syphilis." He replies and Tara smacked the back of his head.

They got to the patients room, it was a woman by the name of Kalpana and she was telling a story to some nurses and doctors. "Tales of missionary life." Kalpana explained.

"You're a missionary?" Izzy asked.

"No, my parents. We traveled a lot. They still do."

"Oh wow. This stuff looks great." Izzy continued examining the woman's artifacts, until she realized Bailey's annoyed look. "Um, this is Dr. Burke's patient, Kalpana Vera..."

""Kull-punnah." Named by villagers in Nepal." She corrected.

"Uh, she presents with a multiple syncopal episodes and ventricular arrhythmias." Izzy explained.

"Dr. Stevens. What are the primary causes of ventricular arrhythmias?" Bailey asked, but before she could answer another voice responded from behind them.

"Valvular disease, mitral valve prolapse, stimulants, drugs, and metabolic abnormalities." Cristina still in a hospital gown and and an IV stuck in her arm answered the question enthusiastically. Everyone stared at her while Tara chuckled at her friend. "What?"