4

I sat with Yoko and a few other girls from Ophillia hall, we discussed the Poe Cup, as it's tomorrow and we can't forget our game plan. Yoko's breadstick feel out of her hand and she began clawing at her throat. I picked up her bread and took a bite, garlic. Shit, she's allergic. I pick her up and run toward the nurses office. The nurse wasn't there!

"Nurse! Nurse! We need you!" I start YELLING. The nurse burst in, I guess she was also eating dinner, but that doesn't matter right now. Yoko could DIE!

"What's wrong dearie?" Can't she see that Yoko can't breathe?

"She ate garlic bread, she's allergic to garlic." The nurse nods and gets out a shot. Yoko is still gasping for air and I rub soothing circles on her back. The nurse gives her the shot, and Yoko starts breathing regularly, or well less labored.

"She'll be alright dearie. She just needs a few days rest now, I'll monitor her. You can go off to bed now." The nurse ushered me out. I took one last look at Yoko, who gave me a slight nod that she'd be alright and headed to my room. On my way to my room I was stoped by one of the girls who'd be doing the canoe race with me tomorrow.

"Hey, is Yoko okay? Can she compete tomorrow?" As if the biggest concern was the Poe Cup.

"Yoko is fine, but she'll need to rest for a few days." I give a small smile and try to continue to my room.

"What are we going to do tomorrow, drop out?" I hadn't even thought about not being able to compete in the Poe Cup.

"We'll figure something out. I'll ask Wednesday." She owes me for the bees.

Lying in bed, I reflected over the whole ordeal. Yoko was fine, thank goodness, I don't know what I would have done if she didn't get the shot in time. Tears started pouring down my cheeks, Yoko almost died. Wednesday came in, I almost forgot about her. I jump out of bed to face her.

"Where have you been? I'm nearly having a heart attack right now, Yoko is in the infirmary right now." A growl nearly rips out my throat as I begin to pace.

"What happened?" She sounds like she already knows.

"Garlic bread incident at dinner, she had a major allergic reaction. Meaning she's out of the Poe Cup, and I don't have a copilot." I could care less about the Poe Cup right now, but Yoko and I have spent the last month building and designing our canoe, and I'd be damned if it were for nothing.

"It wasn't an accident, Bianca is behind it." Of course it was Bianca, when isn't it because of her.

"How do you know?" I ask, Wednesday looks away.

"Doesn't matter. You and I are going to take her down tomorrow." She'll really do the Poe Cup? Even though it means she'll have to socialize?

"Wait, you're joining the Black Cats? You're willing to do that? For me?" I take a step closer to her, my voice softening, she steps back.

"I want to humiliate Bianca so badly the bitter taste of defeat burns in her throat." I wish it was for me, but I honestly want to kill Bianca right now so her utter humiliation sounds nice.

"Yeah but you're mostly doing it because we're friends right?" My voice is almost a whisper now, my tears have dried up, but I fear they'll start leaking again if she says no.

"Tell me how she keeps winning." She turns away. To hide a blush I hope.

"It's a real brain cramp, the past two years no other boat has made it across the lake and back without sinking." It's not really a brain cramp, she's a siren, one of her sirens probably propels the canoe the whole way.

"Sounds like sabotage." Wednesday states, I roll my eyes.

"There are no rules in the Poe Cup, and she is a siren which makes her faster in the water." The fact that there's no rules doesn't mean there aren't lines that shouldn't be crossed, like I don't know, causing a person a major allergic reaction where they almost die. Yoko almost died for a win.