9

I've been lying in my bed crying for hours. How could I have been so stupid? Bianca came by and dropped off Wednesday's snood, apparently she left it at the Weathervane, because of course she did. Wednesday didn't want the snood, she didn't want me! Accepting I'm pointless isn't the hardest when it's so completely obvious.

I tried to get her off my mind, to leave it all behind. I don't wanna make these feelings worse, I'll make it work as just friends. Wednesday eventually comes back, we've been ignoring each other.

"I've been thinking about my less than enthusiastic response to your surprise soiree. And I must admit I regret not showing my gratitude towards you more appropriately." She attempts an apology.

"You really mean it?" I smile sheepishly.

"Take the win Enid!" My smile breaks out fully.

"If only there was a way to break out of campus, and have a little birthday redo. Just two best friends. Too bad the school is on lock down. Would you look at that full moon." We stand by the window together. She was busy with the moon, I was looking at her.

"But I don't want to be your friend, I wanna kiss your lips." I accidentally say out loud, dammit.

"What?" Is she tongue tied? Speechless?

"We never talked about it, but we did kiss at the dance. I thought it was clear that I liked you, but it's fine if you don't feel the same. I mean I know my crochet looks like something only someone leaving a war torn country would wear. And I know I'm not a male barista who can do coffee art." I look away from her. My shoes look mighty interesting right now.

"Enid." Her voice sounds...soft?

"Yeah." I glance up, meeting her intimidating eyes.

"I can't, I'm busy." I sigh and look away again. She said the same thing to Tyler. Do either of us mean anything to her? Is she just playing us? Is she just playing me?

"What's the real reason you want to leave?" I watch her eyes widen through her reflection in the window.

"I need to check out Gate's home, they're trying to cover something up, and I'm going to figure it out." I nod along.

"So you want me to fake a wolf out so you can lead me away from the school and we can go to Gate's house?" She nods curtly.

"Tyler will be here soon." Of course he would. Can I cry again?

"Oh! We should wear our snoods!" I fake enthusiasm, but really I just want her to wear it infront of Tyler, they had laughed at it after all.

"Oh, I believe I left mine at fencing." LIES!

"Actually, you left it at the Weathervane, luckily Bianca brought it back." I smile with fake innocence. I should consider being an actress.

"Like a monkey's paw." What does that mean?

We jump in Tyler's car.

"I thought this was a date?" Tyler exclaims when he sees me. So she did agree to the date with him.

"There's been a change in plans." Wednesday then tells him to drive us to the Gate's house. Which was creepy AF!

"Seriously, we're going in there?" This is the literal definition of a haunted house.

"Okay this isn't what I signed up for." I never thought I'd agree with Tyler with anything other than our taste in girls but I guess I was wrong.

"Ditto." Maybe Wednesday will realize this is crazy and we can go home. Was I just Quentin following Margo around, a girl who clearly wasn't interested?