7

It was parents weekend, yet Wednesday and I stood next to each other rather than our parents, we were probably the only two who didn't want to meet up with their parents. Looking around I see each student smiling or talking to their parent(s), but I knew there would be no smiling involved when I had to be with my family. I will forever be the unwanted daughter because I'm a failed shifter. They'd probably be even more disappointed in me if they found out I like Wednesday, I'm a werewolf so I'm supposed to find a mate who's also a werewolf, but tbh I fear how'd they react if they found out that not only did I like a non-werewolf but that that non-werewolf was a girl.

"I've realized both of you have heard about the unfortunate incident regarding one of our students, Eugene, but I am happy to report Eugene is on the mend and will make a full recovery..." I looked over at Wednesday worried, I know she feels guilty, and she won't stop beating herself up even though she'll claim to not care if anyone asks.

"On the mend...try in a coma." Wednesday states bitterly.

"Have you gone to see him? You're his friend, I can go with you if you want?" I keep my voice as soothing as possible.

"I'm the reason he's in the hospital." Her tone was exasperated like she couldn't understand, which makes since Wednesday is still getting used to how to care for friends.

"It's not your fault okay." I place my hand on her shoulder and look deeply into her eyes so she knows I'm serious and that I nor Eugene blame her for what happened.

"The monster hasn't attacked anyone in the past week. Maybe you finally scared it off." I try to reassure Wednesday.

"Maybe it went into hiding to avoid this weekend." Aww Wednesday made a joke, I shoot her a soft smile.

"Maybe we should have gone into hiding." I nudge her shoulder and I swear I saw a hint of a smile!

"I knew I should have worn a plague mask." Wednesday says eyeing her parents as they start to approach us.

"Well, look at my family talk about toxic pack mentality. I give my mom 30 seconds before her judgy claws come out. Let's get this over with" I shake my head. I already KNOW she'll ask if I've wolfed out yet and when I say no she'll shake her head in disapproval and remind me I'll be removed from the pack if I can't get my act together. I give Wednesday's hand a squeeze before walking off to my family.

"Enid let me look at you!" my mother's voice rings.

"One thousand, two thousand, three thou-" I mutter under my breath keeping my eyes closed, bracing for the insults.

"Have you not been waxing?" New insecurity unlocked, thanks mom. She starts sniffing me.

"Three seconds that's a personal best." I attempt to smile but she ignores me.

"Are you feeling well, you're looking a touch anemic. Have you been eating enough red meat?" Why am I never good enough? This was such a bad idea, I'm totally fucked. I sigh, residing myself to a day full of scrutiny.

"It's good to see you too, mom and you dad." I wish they hadn't showed, or have just left me alone if all they want to do is spout insults.

I look for Wednesday when I'm lost, so I don't go insane. Instead I caught sight of Yoko, who was casually talking to her father, Ajax was talking excitedly with his family, and finally I spot Wednesday, who was leaving with her family. I watched as Wednesday was leaving, I think she felt my stare as she turned back to meet my eyes. I tried to communicate with her asking if she was fine, she gave a nod, then continued staring. It took a bit to realize she was asking if I was okay, I shrugged and gave a weak smile to say not really but it's fine. I couldn't lie to Wednesday. Wednesday's mom called out to her so she had to leave.