Chapter 21

Loving daughter, friend and sister
Veronica Mark

Those were the words written on the grave.
He was standing above it with his hands tucked inside his pocket.

He remembered burying her three years ago, he really didn't believe she had died until he saw it himself.

Although they never got her body, they buried only what was left of her.
They never had a chance at life.

Just when he was getting his happiness and happy ever after, it gets snatched away from him.
She was the best thing that ever happened to him, even better than taking over from his father.

That night she was taken, he didn't know he would never get her back, he tried all he could, used up all his resources and connection to try and find her but nothing came back positive.

One whole year, one year was how long she was gone for, but he never lost hope.
Deep down he knew he'd find her.
She might not be the same but he'd find her.

The most painful part of the whole thing was, she never really knew what he did or who he was.
She never knew he was part of the mafia or even led one.

He tried to keep her sheltered from the lifestyle all in the bid to protect her, but look where it got both of them.

He knelt down in front of the headstone and as the rain fell, so did the tears in his eyes.
Today makes it 3 years since he'd had to bury her and forget about her and the life they both had.

3 years ago today he got to know she was dead.
Everything he knew and believed changed that day for good.
A part of him died with her.

He didn't really care that he was crying, because he was crying for her and in front of her, she was the only person he could be vulnerable with.
She saw him for him.

He came here alone, with no guards or even Viss.
The only person that knew where he was, is Ivan.

Speaking of Ivan his mind drifted to her again, Cara.
The reason he was this miserable.
The reason Veronica is dead.

He opened the bottle if liquor he brought with him and took a huge swig of it.
That was the only way he knew to numb his pains.

The heart wrenching pain he was feeling, he could only drown it out with alcohol.
He chugged down more as he kept pouring out his emotions.

The clatter of the rain on the cemented grave was noise enough for him but the thoughts in his mind over clouded the noise of the rain.

Why did she have to be at home sleeping on his bed, in his mansion and even have his cousin whipped for her.

When his sweet, beautiful Veronica was lying in this cold hard grave, after all the suffering she'd had to go through.

She didn't deserve the peace and quiet she was getting, not after murdering his Vera.
Not after ruining his own life and making him miserable.

He was gonna ruin her too, he was going to break her.
Death was far too easy for her.
He would make sure she would suffer greatly.
She'd wish for death but she won't find it.

He took one last gulp of the alcohol, he was already feeling it's effect on him, before getting up and heading for his car, he was going to bring justice to Vera.

__________________________________

It had been a month since the incident with Dimitri and as Ivan had promised her, he stayed away from her, what Ivan didn't tell her though was the fact that, Dimitri didn't come close to her because it was almost time for his fiance's death anniversary.