Eighteen

Lorelai moves in beside me at the railing, watching as the house staff discusses the best way to get the body down

Lorelai moves in beside me at the railing, watching as the house staff discusses the best way to get the body down. They've agreed that a winged supe needs to do it. The question now is which fairy or angel will head the task.

"Is Cordelia all right?" my best friend asks.

I lift my shoulder in a defeated shrug. "For now...she seemed to need a second, so I gave her that. But whoever is doing this went after her last night. They tried to drown her in the pool. It's the reason I moved her into my room."

"Is there a reason you didn't think it necessary to share that with the rest of the house?"

I push away from the iron railing and run my palm over the back of my neck. "Because half of the attendees would be all right if someone killed Cordelia. They believe she is a threat to our existence. I'm not giving another person the opening to harm her and blame it on this killer."

I forego telling Lorelai the discovery I've made about Cordelia. It's like this house has eyes and ears everywhere. If someone found out she is a Dreamwalker, it would likely be another reason someone attempts to take her life.

"Fine, I guess that makes sense, but Elias, I get the feeling you're not quite telling me everything here. There's a missing piece to this puzzle, and I'm the best at completing puzzles. So spill it. What else is going on?"

I shake my head as I walk back toward my room. "Nothing, Lorelai. I told you. I have to get back to her. She was really shaken up by all of this."

Lorelai snatches my wrist, pulls me back toward her and hisses in my ear, "Do you know who's doing this?"

"I have no clue," I say, ripping my arm from her grasp.

"But you have an idea."

"It's a stupid assumption that makes no sense. None at all. Honestly, it is more like my mind playing tricks on me. There is no way."

Her eyebrows shoot up and her mouth goes slack. "Elias, you know that's crazy. Why would you even think that?"

I run my fingers through my hair, leaving it standing on its ends. "They left a note on Cordelia after they tried to drown her. What it said hit a nerve with me. It was like they knew that I..." I shake my head not needing to finish the thought. Lorelai was there on the worst night of my life. She doesn't need me to regale her with all the gory details. "I'm just exhausted, and I've got seven weeks ahead of me worrying about this woman because we are all spellbound to this island. I'm sure I'm overthinking it."

She nods and tilts her head toward my room. "It's going to be all right. In fact, everything is going to be great if this match works out for you. Go woo your girl, big guy."

I roll my eyes and step into my room.

And I am both flabbergasted and a little bit hurt by what I see.