Twenty

"I don't understand," I say, pacing around my room while Lorelai sits on one of the plush chairs in front of the fireplace

"I don't understand," I say, pacing around my room while Lorelai sits on one of the plush chairs in front of the fireplace. "Why did she leave if she misses me?"

Lorelai shakes her head. "I can't tell you that, Elias. You have to go talk to her yourself. This is...this is too much for me to take in right now; I don't know everything that you know about Dreamwalkers, but—"

My eyes nearly bug out of my head, and I drop down into the chair next to her. "She told you she's a Dreamwalker? Oh, for fuck's sake, how many others has she—"

Lorelai holds up her hand. "Stop freaking out. She hasn't told anyone else. She wasn't even sure she should tell me, but the poor girl was about to lose her shit. And..." She blows a breath out that makes her lips rattle. "Look, just go talk to her. The sooner the fucking better, okay? Something fucked up is going on around here, and you...just go. Now."

"You understand that this is the definition of insanity. Doing the same thing and expecting different results. You are asking me to ask her what is going on. I've already done that and she refused to tell me." I slam my head into the cushion behind my head and stare up at the ceiling. "I don't want to push her if this isn't what she wants."

Lorelai reaches over and places her hand on mine, and I look down at her. "She wants you to ask. I promise she does. She was just too...I don't know...embarrassed... ashamed...to approach you. She feels badly about the way everything happened and she is confused. And honestly...after hearing everything that's going on in her brain...I don't blame her."

I lean forward in the chair and clasp my hands between my knees. I bore my gaze into Lorelai. "If I ignore you and abide by her previously stated wishes, does it put her in danger?"

"Yes, Elias."

It is all the confirmation I need. If my actions put Cordelia in harm's way, I refuse to do it. Even if it means ignoring her plea to stay away. "All right, I'll talk to her."

"Now. You have to do it now."

I glare at her as if I'm annoyed, but the truth is that I'm upset that she so easily got the information from Cordelia that I begged her for. The jealousy I feel would be worse if it wasn't overshadowed by my worry.

The walk down the hallway gives me little chance to consider what I'm going to say or how I'm going to play what comes next. I don't want to add to whatever is going on with Cordelia, but something deep in my gut tells me this isn't going to be the simple Q and A Lorelai thinks it will be.

I knock on Cordelia's door and prop my shoulder on the doorframe. The last eighteen hours have exhausted me.

And when she answers the door, I can see Cordelia is no better off. There are lavender circles under her eyes, a stark contrast to her pale skin. Her white blonde hair is piled in a messy bun atop her head, so many strands falling around her face that it may as well just be loose, and her satin pajama set isn't even wrinkled. Another sign she hasn't actually slept.