Twenty-Eight

The branches of trees spread across the moonless night sky

The branches of trees spread across the moonless night sky. The leaves hanging from their limbs are sparce and rattle against the gentle breeze. I lower my gaze, soaking in the tombstones around me. Strange that I find myself here again in the dead of night. I swore that I would only return here for one reason—the chase.

Every time I picture Elias, playing my game...making my darkest fantasy reality, this is where I picture us.

"I thought you were dead."

"Did things not go to plan, brother?"

I spin around and find Elias facing off with...Elias? There is nothing to tell them apart. Everything from their long sleeve shirts to the way they've styled their hair is the same. Two sets of brown eyes flick to me, studying me like I'm something undiscovered.

"Does she know?"

"Know what?" the other says with a growl.

"Who we are? What we have to do? Why we have to do it?"

"She knows what we are."

My gaze bounces between them, no less confused than I was when I first laid eyes on them.

"You shouldn't be here."

I open my mouth to protest. They are the ones invading my dream. But the other brother responds before me.

"Shouldn't I? We are connected in every other way. Why not this?"

"You're saying—"

"Oh, I feel it too."

He feels what?

"No. That is impossible."

"Is it? We shared a womb, shared a sire, shared a destiny, You truly believe we don't share her as well?"

A growl comes from the brother to my left, and when he closes the distance between him and his mirror image, his voice is low and menacing. "Share her? I think not, brother. She is mine."

The one to the right crosses his arms and ankles while leaning against a tree trunk. "She is just as much mine as she is yours. It is a complicated web we find ourselves tangled in. Isn't it, sweet Cordelia?"

"I don't—"

"Keep her name out of your mouth."

I bite down on my lip, frustrated that I can't get a word in edgewise with them. I'm suddenly grateful to be an only child.

"Dark secrets have a way of finding the light."

"And dark deeds are always paid back in kind."

"Choose wisely, pretty dreamwalker."

The brothers disappear and everything around me fades to black.

The black morphs into shades of gray, and when my eyelids finally flutter open, I sit up, immediately looking down at Elias's side of the bed. I need answers, comfort, confirmation I'm not losing it. Something...