Thirty

Elias's mood tonight is beyond sweet and romantic

Elias's mood tonight is beyond sweet and romantic. It's better than any romance novel I've read, and I'm feeling all kinds of ways about him. Many of which are begging to be expressed physically. And I can't do that with this stupid fucking veil on my face. I want to rip it off and tear that mask from his head so I can devour him, but I suppose we should play by the rules.

I turn to look out the window, noticing that the moon is full and the stars are shining so brightly, the night sky peppered with them. It's beautiful out there, and if I weren't so desperate to have Elias in our bed, I'd ask him to take me on a walk on the beach.

"Want to play a game?" The voice coming from behind me is low, sexy, a gravelly whisper that can only belong to one man. And when he wraps his arm around my shoulders from the back, gripping my throat through the silk veil, I gasp, arousal flooding my veins—and the space between my legs.

"Elias, I—"

He presses his front to my back. The fabric of my dress is doing nothing to hide the hard planes of his body. Even through the veil, his breath is warm against my ear. "Do you, Cordelia? Yes or no?"

"Yes," I breathe, my body trembling with need. "Please."

"Good. I'm giving you a headstart." His hard cock presses into me and his voice is a deep rumble as he says, "Run."

Oh, shit. We're doing this now. "Yes, master," I say, glancing over my shoulder as he releases me, and I turn away, rushing out the side door of the ballroom into the hallway closest to the back door before bursting out into the backyard. I go ahead and kick off my heels, knowing they're just going to slow me down, and I want to prolong this as much as possible. This is my fantasy, the one I shared with him all those weeks ago. He never forgot, and the promise of what is to come has my heart pounding and my thighs slick with my desire.

I also know I need to watch my breathing and not overdo it, so I jog into the wooded area at the side of the manor until I find a large tree I can hide behind. My fingers rip out the pins holding the veil in place.

"You are good at this game," says Elias's disembodied voice. It echoes off the tall trees and mixes with the crunching of leaves under his feet. "We should have played sooner, coelhinha."

I stiffen at the endearment and the veil slips from my fingers. My heart races at double the speed. Elias has many sweet names for me, but as I worked out with Lorelai that day...none of them are spoken in Portuguese.

Without a second thought, my feet pound into the ground, putting more distance between us.

"Cordelia!"

I make a sharp turn around a gravestone adorned with a massive marble cross. I grip the base as I look back the way I came.

One of the Dagon brothers bends down to retrieve my veil. He slides the gauzy material beneath his mask and his chest expands. His face lifts and he looks side to side.