Ice and Flames

Maggie POV
Screaming, fire, the smell, what have I done?! That's all that was going thru my head trying to get Macy out of those pajamas. The fire was out, but so was my baby sister. My tiny, little itty bitty 6 year old, baby sister. Lori came back down the steps with a crate full of medical supplies she gathered upstairs. Macys burns were bad. Her arm, back and leg a horrible red with blisters forming already. I got up and ran to the bathroom to throw up and cry. Glenn came in to comfort me but it was no use. I sat for a while until I got the courage to go back to Macy. Daddy had cleaned the wounds and bandaged them at that point, she was still out. 'It wasn't you fault Maggie, the flames got the blanket, she must of moved closer to the fire when we left the room" Carol said. 'That's the problem, I left the room, I left a 6 year old child sitting next to an open flame.' 'We all did, we all messed up.' Daddy said. 'Good thing though, it's between 2nd and 3rd degree. Her leg and back are 3rd, but her arm is only second. Her neck is burned too, but not badly. She will be alright, we just need to make sure to keep her wounds clean.' I sighed and sat next to Macy. It was a long, quiet day. Macy didn't wake up much, which was good, it kept the pain at bay. I dozed off and had a dream of Macy at the farm with her beloved rooster.

 I dozed off and had a dream of Macy at the farm with her beloved rooster

How I wish we could go back. I awoke to Macy awake. She wasn't crying, just talking softly. Daddy was having her eat a pop tart and drink some water. I went and sat closer and Macy looked at me and reached for my hand. 'It wasn't your fault sissy, I moved the blanket and wasn't watching what I was doing.' I smiled at her and squeezed her hand. 'I'm still sorry Mace, I shouldn't of left the room. How are you feeling though?' 'I'm alright, I hurt but not super bad, daddy looked at my burns while you were sleeping and they aren't as bad as he though, only second burns.' I smiled 'second degree burns hunny.' I laughed. The rest of the evening was a quiet one. The snow had started coming down again and Daryl brought some in so daddy could pack it around Macy to cool her down. She was taking this like a champ. I always knew she was strong, but her strength right now amazed me. I slept downstairs next to Macy that night, daddy on the couch, not wanting to move her just yet. It was restless night for us but finally after some pain meds and getting the burning under control we got a good couple hours. The next morning Macy was feeling okay, we had to change her bandages and wash the wounds and that was the hard part, luckily we didn't have to scrub them. There was tears and yelling from Macy but we finished quick and gave her another pain pill and put more snow on her.

   Macy's POV
A week had went by and I was feeling pretty much back to normal. The snow finally stopped but we were stuck, it was deep and icy cold outside. Daryl and Rick went to get more wood so they could dry it out because we were running low with how much we had to use to keep the house warm. We had been boiling snow the last couple days so everyone could bathe, I took my bath this morning and I felt so fresh with clean clothes on. I missed baths so much. Maggie had left with Glenn and daddy to go find fine food. It was just Lori, Carl, Beth, Carol, T-Dog and myself here. Lori was asleep like usual and Carl was off being angry at something. Carol was cleaning the house with Beth and T-Dog was in and out getting snow too melt. I just sat quietly playing with my bunnies and some toys I found. It was getting late and all of us sat around. 'Where are they? They are taking too long.' Lori said. Carol looked over at me and back at Lori. 'They are fine, it's hard to maneuver with all that snow.' About an hour later the front door opened and Maggie and everyone walked in. They had bags of stuff. They went straight to the kitchen. Daryl and Rick came in carrying loads of firewood. 'There is a ton more out here come help.' Rick said to the adults. I walked to the kitchen and helped with the things they brought back. Maggie looked over at me and smiled. 'I got you something.' She said. She pulled out some snow boots and a winter coat with gloves and a hat!  'Now maybe you can play on the snow tomorrow!' I smiled at that. 'Will you play too?' I asked. 'Or course, I think a lot of us need a little fun.' We all ate dinner and everyone went for an early bedtime. I was lying in bed and Maggie was reading me a story, Glenn was on watch tonight so he was downstairs. Maggie finished the story and put it away. 'Maggie?' I asked. 'Yes Mace?' She looked at me. 'Did you see any monsters while you were out there?' 'No I didn't, not even one.' 'So, maybe all the monsters are gone?! Maybe the snow sent them away forever!' I smiled. Maggie looked at me sadly. 'No Macy, I'm sorry hunny, I don't think the snow got rid of them, I just think it's so cold it's hard for them to move or do anything.'
   Maggie's POV
I watched Macys face drop, I regretted what I said instantly, but I couldn't get her hopes up for nothing. I pulled her into a hug 'I'm sorry, I know you want them gone, I do too, but it's just not how it works now sweetie.' She nodded her head, 'I know, I just hoped.' How about we get to sleep so we can play in the snow tomorrow yes??' She smiled at that and laid down. I rubbed her back until she was asleep and tossed and turned for a bit. I wish the snow killed the walkers off, but it's going to take more than cold weather to get rid of them. I slowly dozed off, remember back to happy days, on the farm, where the biggest threat was a coyote getting a chicken.