Chapter 1- Ashers POV.

"I want this room!" Finn screamed through the house, showing his excitement. I shake my head at him and continue down the hall to what must be my room.

I place my bags down and enter the room just to see a nice, modest space. There is a double bed in the middle of the room with a window just above it. I have a nice desk and all of my clothes coming.

I flop down onto the bed, tiredness washing over me. The move from New York has been exhausting. All of the goodbyes and the fucking crying and the packing and the unpacking. It was hard to leave the place that I had become so accustomed to after almost 5 years, but I was excited to see my hometown.

I will admit that this house is much smaller and less flashy than what we had in New York. My dad's job as an architect came with a very flash apartment on the nice side of town. The building was full of super rich kids who I had become close with over my teen years.

Even though it isn't what I have become used to, I am glad to be back. I think that I am more suited to a small town than a big city. I like the quiet- the opposite of New York. There it was always loud, even when you were in your own home. On the streets, there was always something going on, whether it was a fight, a street performer, or a proposal. There was always something happening.

Here it is very peaceful. On the 2-hour drive from the airport, I saw about 30 people and even fewer cars.  It will still take a lot of getting used to.

I had hoped that we could move into our old house. I loved it there. There was a beautiful park right across the street, and of course, my best friend lived right next door.

Amira and I lost contact when we were about 15. I don't even know what happened, she just stopped texting one day. I was crushed for at least 6 months, but I distracted myself with new friends, girls, and football.

I have no idea who she turned into. The last time I saw her we were both just awkward preteens, and online I've only seen a few pictures- but even that was years ago. I have no idea what to expect.

My dad comes into my room with a tired look on his face.

"We are going to see the Morelli's tonight for dinner. Leaving in 30 minutes, look nice."

I just nod my head at him, dragging my hands down my face. I knew that it wouldn't be long before we saw them. Amira and my parents were very good friends, but they haven't spoken much since we left.

I dressed up in a nice basic white T-shirt and some baggy jeans. I look in the mirror and try to contain my messy hair, but I give up and just let it do its thing. I spray myself with cologne and put on some jewelry.

I don't really fucking know why I am trying to look so nice for her. I used to have a crush on her as a kid, sure but I don't anymore. Hell, I haven't seen her since we were 13. Now we are almost 18, so I have no idea how I will feel towards her.

The walk over to her house is only about 10 minutes. I look up to the sky to find the stars, clear and bright.

I point it out to my family, and Finn looks like he's about to faint from happiness. We could never see the stars in New York because of all the light pollution, so this is the first time he's seen stars in real life as he was only about 2 when we left here.

As we approach our old house- and in turn Amira's house, I can feel myself getting emotional. The memories come rushing back all at once. Us just hanging out in the park, eating lollies our parents told us not to buy from the corner shop. Laughing until we spit our water out in her backyard. Holding her as she cried when her dad told her about how her mother died.

Before I know it we are in her driveway. Her house is still the same, 2 stories, nicely painted, and plants outside. Amira and her dad have always been wealthy as her dad is a big-shot lawyer while still being one of the only lawyers in town. I remember he used to be away a lot, leaving Amira to stay at our house. That seemed to have paid off though, as she has one of the nicest houses in the area.

My mum knocks on the door and it is opened by Mr Morelli, Amira's father. He welcomes us inside and I look around the house. It is almost exactly the same as it was 5 years ago. He walks us through the house to the dining room.

As soon as we enter the room I see Amira sitting down on the table.

She gets up from her seat without looking at me and goes to hug my parents and my brother, but she looks extremely stiff and uncomfortable while doing so.

Only when she comes up to me do I get a good look at her.

She is way shorter than me- barely reaching my chest. She is gorgeous, with her big brown eyes and plump glossed lips. Her brown wavy hair hasn't changed since we were kids, and she still wears the golden necklace with her name in Italian. She is wearing a baggy hoodie and sweatpants but she still looks good. I can't help but notice that while she is beautiful, she looks so empty. She has bags under her eyes and she can barely smile at me. She looks very thin, much thinner than she ever was when we were kids.

I ignore all of these observations and debate if I should hug her or not. Neither of us has said anything yet, and a bunch of unanswered questions hang in the air. I don't even know where to start. There are the last 3 years to catch up on.

I find myself questioning what her life is like. I don't want to make assumptions, but she looks unhealthy. I look into her eyes and see that her brown eyes are red- as if she is high. I'm shocked as I make this realization, as I've always stayed away from drugs. I always assumed that she would do the same.

"Let's eat, shall we?" Amira and I break eye contact and go to sit down. My mother beckons me over to the opposite side that Amira is on, much to my dismay.

I sit down across from Amira's dad and start to serve myself after thanking him for the meal.

"Asher, how have you been boy? You sure have grown into a fine young man," Mr Morelli grins at me and I smile back. He was always very kind to me and I always looked up to him. He was always there to play catch with us or take us to the movies. Him and Amira don't seem as close now though. The vibe is weird between them, I could tell as soon as I walked in.

"I'm good sir. How are you?" I reply politely while nibbling on my food. I can hear my mother talking to Amira and I can also hear her soft, shy answers. She always was a little bit shy as a kid. I would always be the one to order at restaurants or stand up for her if someone was picking on her.

"I'm good son. You're looking strong. You play football?"

"Yeah he does. Quarterback he is." My dad proudly adds to the conversation before I can. My dad was very happy when I made quarterback for my team in New York, probably happier than I was. I just do it to stay sane.

"Good job. I'll tell you, football is a good sport to play if you know what I mean. It pays off," he winks at me and I try not to cringe at his obvious hint. I chuckle politely and him and my dad get into a conversation about what it was like.

I never had a problem with girls in New York, but I never really felt a connection to any of them. I sort of had a 'player' reputation but honestly, I just didn't feel a connection to any of them. I did like to have fun though, don't get me wrong.

I look over at Amira as if she can read my thoughts just to see her looking straight at me.