Chapter 19: Ashers POV

"Asher honey, wake up. We want to talk to you." 

I awake to the sound of my mothers voice softly speaking in my ear. I open my eyes and look around, remembering I am on the couch. 

I look at the clock behind my mum wondering if Amira would be awake. 

8AM. Hell no, she won't be awake. I don't even want to be awake at this time. 

"We wanted to talk to you before Amira wakes up. Thats why its so early." 

I nod at my dad, who must have noticed me glancing at the clock and my questioning face. 

I sit up and face my parents, who are formally sitting across from me. What could this be about? My mind tries to think of all the things they could want to talk to me about. School, Friends, Football... the possibilities are endless. 

"So... what's up?" 

My dad smiles as does my mother, and dad brings out his phone and taps around until he finds what he is looking for. The silence is deafening, my confusion hanging in the air. 

Dad turns his phone to face me and I read it. My heart sinks. 

Football camp 2024! Runs for the rest of the summer. 8 weeks long. 

Following that is a bunch of different pictures and information that I ignore. 

"For this summer? We are already like halfway through." 

I have already made my decision if it is this summer. I'm not going. For one, I secretly hate playing football. I've always loved playing soccer but my dad said he doesn't want me playing it, because its for 'losers.' His words not mine. 

Another reason is that I know Amira needs me. She can take care of herself but I'm concerned about whoever this 'Logan' guy is. She is in danger and no one else seems to care about her. 

"Yes, it starts next week. I emailed and one of the scouts watched your game last season and he was impressed. You're in! If you do well then this could be your gateway to go pro." 

My dad is beaming with a proud smile, but I have kept my face blank. 

My father has always been adamant about me being a football star. Ever since I was 8 he's been training me, and it was never an option to play football. 

He's already started playing with Finn, but I can tell he hates it too. 

I used to enjoy it, until about a year after I started playing at high school. It all got so competitive and over time, I lost interest. 

All of the pressure is too much to handle. When ever I lose a game the car ride home is silent, and then as soon as I get home my dad starts to yell and yell and yell and yell. About how I'm disappointing him and letting the team down. 

"I don't want to go."

When those words slip out of my mouth, my dads smile drops and his face turns from joy to panic and anger in a second. 

"What do you mean, you don't want to go?" My dad is talking through his teeth, and he is gripping the chair so hard his knuckles turn white. 

My instinct is to be scared of him in this state, but I'm almost 18 now. I'm much stronger and bigger than him and could lift him from his collar with one hand. 

"I don't want to play football." 

His eyes narrow and then he starts laughing. Laughing. 

My mum next to him stares at him with a concerned and weirded out face.