Chapter 16: Ashers POV

I didn't mind sleeping on the couch. I really didn't.

But the thought of Amira in my bed, without me, had me tossing and turning. I couldn't stop thinking about the fact that she was in my room. In my house.

Would my bedsheets smell of her tomorrow? The thought made me want to swing my feet like a fucking moron.

As soon as I woke up in the morning I forgot for a second where I was. Confused, I go to the kitchen to see Amira, laughing with my younger brother.

Finn is holding his stomach, unable to contain his laughter and surprisingly Amira is in the same state.

It takes them a good 30 seconds to notice me in the doorway staring at them. Who knew they would get along? They seem like complete opposites.

"Oh hey Asher." Finn looks at me and then at Amira, and bursts out into a fit of hysterical laughing. He then sprints out the door behind me leaving me even more confused.

"What-" I walk into the kitchen when Amira cuts me off with a smile on her face.

"You were in the school play in New York?" The question catches me off guard, and I can tell it only amuses Amira further. Finn. That little shit.

I was technically in the school production, but only because I had to or I would be kicked off the football team. The councillor wanted me to branch out. She said it would not only look good on college applications, but it would also be good for my mental health.

I ended up getting one of the main roles, and people back in NY gave me so much shit for it. I couldn't go one day without my friends mentioning it or pulling up the video.

Though that was annoying, if I could do it again I would. The rehearsals were some of the funnest times I've had with people in NY. The 'theatre nerds' were actually some of the nicest and funniest people I had met in that school. It was worth the making fun of after.

"Yeah.. I was forced to." I respond, careful not to give too much information. I don't know what Finn told her and I would prefer if she didn't know about that stage of my life.

"Finn showed me the video. You're quite talented Asher." She tries to hide her smile, and does an adorable lip bite.

I need to get that video from Finns phone. If he shows that video to one more person, I might just have to smash his phone altogether.

"Oh shit. Please never mention it again." I look at her with pleading eyes, keeping my face humorous.

"I don't know Asher, it seems like a great accomplishment that should be acknowledged." She smirks, smirks, at me and turns her phone screen towards me. Son of a bitch. He sent it to her?

"Delete that." She shakes her head at me, and I take the phone from her hands to erase the video from her phone. Is there any way to erase it from her memory, too?

As I am about to delete the video, her phone dings. She immediately tries to get her phone back from me, panic in her eyes. Her entire demeanour shifts from that one sound. The goofy, chilled aura of the room transforms into a tense one.

With the intention of making sure she is safe, I turn away from her and look at the text.

Another unknown number.

The text made my heart drop. It made my heart beat faster, and it made the protector in me activate.

'I'm outside, sweetheart. Where are you? Come and see me.'

To anyone else, it seems like a text that could be harmless. Someone coming to visit her, a relative maybe. But I know it's more than that.

"Who is this from?" I hand her phone back to her, and she quickly takes it from me and reads the same text I did.

Her panic and fear clearly goes from 10 to 100. Her eyes water and her hands start to shake. She very slowly puts her phone in her back pocket and keeps her eyes trained on the ground, careful not to make eye contact with me. She doesn't answer. My heart breaks for her.

"Look at me, Mira." I gently put a finger under her chin and carefully turn her head to look up at me. A tear falls out of her eye and she rolls her bottom lip into her mouth.

She gulps and her eyebrows draw together. When more tears roll out of her eyes, all I know to do is to take her into my arms. I pull her to me and cradle her head in my chest. One hand is on the back of her head and one is on her back.

"It's okay. You can cry." That seems to only make her cry harder, and I know that she needs this. I would comfort her all day everyday if thats what it took to make her feel better.

It takes a while for her to pull away. She looks up at me and takes my hand. Amira leads us up the stairs and to my bedroom, and I can tell she is holding back her tears.

She sits down on my bed and looks at me. She takes a big breath.

"Those texts have been from Logan. Logan is my ex boyfriend."

I nod as she pauses, knowing there is more to the story.

"I can't tell you everything. Maybe I will someday, but I just can't right now. The point is that those texts are from him. And he's," She tries to steady her breathing, so that her voice doesn't shake so much. My theories are proven right, even though I didn't want them to be. God, I really hope all of them aren't right. I hope that Logan is nothing but a nerd who wants to be with her again.

"He is threatening me with them. I think he's going to hurt me." I suck in a quick breath when she finishes her sentence. All I want is to ask more questions. I need more answers. But that isn't going to help her right now.

"I won't let him hurt you." She cuts me off.

"He's dangerous, Asher. I don't want to drag you into this. I'm simply explaining what those texts were. Are."

"I don't care if he's dangerous. And you aren't dragging me into this. I want to help. I care about you, Amira. I wont let him even speak to you. And I hope one day you feel comfortable enough to tell me the full story." She looks at me hesitantly but I can tell she is relieved. I can see that her body is just a little bit less tense from hearing that.

----------------------------------------------------------

A/N

HEY GUYS! Sorry for the late update, I've been busy with Christmas family things. Merry Christmas btw, to everyone who celebrates it. And happy December to people who don't. I love Asher. Also, I cried during this chapter for some reason.

Wc: 1186