Chapter 7: Ashers POV

I have to hold myself back from asking her why she's crying. 

She probably thinks I can't tell, but I can. I can tell by the cracks and the shakiness in her voice. 

My mind is racing as I leave my house. Why would she be upset? I thought she would be happy that her dad found someone. But I know that if she's crying then it must be for good reason. She isn't a selfish person, I know that for sure. 

She definitely has walls up for everyone. I've only seen glimpses of who she really is. 

She acts cold, but I know that she's kind. She acts quiet, but she has so much to say. I know it. 

I'm determined to break down her walls. I want to get to know her properly, the real her. Not the Amira that she pretends to be. 

I climb out my window and start walking towards her house. I know she said to wait 10 minutes, but I'm bored as fuck.

I found her number by asking around. It was a bit of effort, but it was worth it. I don't want to be the guy that just keeps showing up at her window expecting her to hang out with me. I have some self-respect. 

I get to her house, jumping over the familiar typical white picket fence in front of it. The door latches open and I jump behind a big tree on instinct. 

Amira's dad comes out of the house with a woman, presumably his partner. She is smiling at him and he does the same. They look at each other like they are the only people in the world. Like nothing else matters except for their love for each other. I try to spot Amira with them but have no luck. 

When they aren't looking I quickly round the corner and go around the side of the house where Amira's window is. I pick up a small peice of gravel and throw it so that it lightly taps her window. 

It takes her 30 seconds and 2 more rocks for her to open the window. I get a good look at her-  her brown eyes are glossy and swollen. She is wearing a hoodie and tiny shorts. 

Those shorts certainly don't leave much to the imagination. 

"Hi," She says while climbing out of her window. 

There is a little verandah under her window for her to stand on, but I still don't want her jumping from there. 

"Wait, don't jump. You could break a leg," I go closer to the ledge and she nods. 

She sits down on the ledge and grabs my hand. It's minimal touch, but it gives me goose bumps. She looks startled as she gets down, staring at our interlinked hands. 

I would be happy to stay like this the whole night. 

But she takes her hand away as soon as possible. I've easily noticed that she doesn't like physical touch, unlike most girls. Girls in New York were always desperate for touch. 

"I know a spot we can go to. It's a bit of a walk, but it's worth it." 

She nods and we continue walking. 

"How was the dinner?" I ask, and I swear I hear her gulp. 

"Sarah is nice. My dad is so different with her though," I watch her bite her shaky lip. It takes everything in me not to take her into my arms right here. I know that's not what she needs at this moment. 

"What do you mean?"

"My dad hasn't been great. I think he lied to her and said that we have a really good relationship. We don't, by the way. My dad is basically never home at this point." 

My heart hurts for her. That's why she was upset. I have been blessed with a (mostly) happy family, so I can't imagine what things are like for her. 

"I'm sorry. He sounds like a dickhead." I know that she needs to hear that from someone else. Validation that she isn't going crazy. I know the feeling. 

"Yeah. He is honestly. And with everything that's happened these past couple of years, with Logan-" She stops herself like she wasn't in control of what she was saying. Her eyes widen and she averts her gaze to in front of us to avoid eye contact with me. 

"Whos Logan?" I immediately came alert when I hear another guys name. Who the fuck is Logan?  Alarm bells are ringing in my brain, especially from the tone that she took when just speaking his name. Like just saying the word makes her want to retch. 

"It doesn't matter. Forget it." She shakes her head and she starts to breathe heavier, like she is panicking. I don't want to push further but I feel like I have too. Logan might just be an ex but just from her reaction I can tell that he is more to her, good or bad. 

"But Mira-" She cuts me off. 

"No. Please just drop it," She looks at me with regret and pleading swimming in her eyes. 

I consider trying to get her to tell me, but I realise that it would be a wrong move. She can tell me when she is ready, whenever that will be. 

"Okay. Okay, I'm sorry." She breathes out a breath of relief and we continue walking at a normal pace. 

The rest of the walk to my spot is mostly silent. She doesn't seem like she is in the mood for talking, and just her company is nice. 

I can tell that the darker it gets the more uneasy she feels. I hope that my being here relieves some of that anxiousness for her. I check my phone: 11PM. I wonder why her dad hasn't called her yet. My parents don't really care if I'm out late, seeing that they know I will be safe on my own. 

As we approach the bush leading out of town, I offer my hand to her. 

"It gets a little bit slippery," She nods and places her hand in mine. 

There it is again. Sparks.

------------------------------------------

A/N

Hey guys!! Sorry I haven't updated in a while, I was in a bit of a slump with literally anything. I will get the next chapter out within a couple of hours :)