Angst

When he heard the sound, he realised that sending Morgan and Garcia away was the best thing he could have done. He didn't want them to get hurt because of him. 

He saw his bag of things that Garcia had brought him on the table next to him and reached out to grab it, hoping that his gun was in it. He probed the inside of the bag until he felt the familier cool metal handle. He breathed a sigh of relief and drew the gun from it's holster just at the door handle slowly began to turn. Hoping for the best but expecting the worst he held the gun in front of him and waited till the door opened revieling the partner.

His breath hitched when a man stepped into the room holding a gun. When the man saw Reid sitting up in the bed with a gun pointed in his direction he raised his gun in front of him and two shots rang out.

                                                                                       <->

Morgan had had a bad feeling since leaving Reid. So when he had dropped Garcia off at the station he took the ten minute ride back to the hospital. He knew he was probably just being paranoid, but since joining the F.B.I. he learned to follow his insincts. When he pulled into the parking lot, the feeling intensified ten-fold and he rushed into the hospital. 

He ran passed the elevator figuring he could prabaly make it up the stairs faster to the second floor than the elevator would carry him. He bounded up the stairs two at a time, nearly colliding with a nurse in his rush to check on Reid. He charged through the door and his heart stopped. Outside Reid's door was the policeman. Face down on the cold tile floor. Dead.

And a second later two gunshots pierced the air. Morgan ran to the door with his gun raised and charged into the room. On the floor in front of him was the body of a man. He guessed that this was most likley the partner they had been looking for. He had shoulder length black hair and dark eyes. He was average height and build. Morgan kicked his gun away from his motionless hand and knelt down beside him to check for a pulse. When he didn't find one he was torn between feeling happy and feeling sad.

"I knew him," Reid whispered. Morgan looked up from the body and stared at him.

"You knew him?" Morgan asked cautiously moving towards Reid, not knowing what state he was in.

"Yeah, but he changed his name, that's why I didn't recognize the name Darren. His name used to be Ethan. He was my friend. The last time we talked was in New Orleans. We were working the Jack the Ripper copycat case."

"Reid I am so sorry."

"Don't be, it's not your fault." Morgan could hear people behind him but he ignored them.

"It's not yours either, he could have killed you. And if you hadn't shot him he would've."

"I know but it doesn't make me feel any better. I killed my friend."

"Reid he was prepared to kill you. ou did what you had to do to survive." Morgan sat on the edge of the bed and tried to catch Reid's gaze when a somethings occured to him. "Reid where did his shot go? I heard two gunshots."

"Hit the wall above my head," he answered calmly.

Morgan looked at the wall behind his friend and saw the distinct bullet hole about an inch obove the top of his head.

"I'm going to call Hotch." Knowing Reid wasn't going to say anything he decided to do something productive. He pulled out his phone and speed dialed Hotch. 

"Morgan is everything okay? The team is on their way. Is Reid hurt?"

"Reid fine, pyshically. How'd you find out?"

"Sheriff called after the hospital called them. The security guards heard the shots." Of course stupid. 

"Reid knew the partner. His name isn't actually Darren, it's Ethan. Reid's friend from New Orleans."

"Is he dead?"

"Reid shot him point blank in the forehead. He didn't realize it was Ethan until he had already shot. He's pretty torn up about it."

"Anyone would be. Okay were pulling into the hospital i'll talk to you when we get up there." 

"Bye." Morgan hung up the phone and turned back to look at Reid who was staring into space. "The team is here." Reid nodded but his glazed over gaze didn't change. Morgan moved to stand in the doorway.

The kid was really starting to freak Morgan out. He had never seen him like this. The closest would have been when they found him in the bathroom staring at a dead kid that he couldn't save. That was shot right in front of him. 

"What happened to the cop?" Reid asked suprising Morgan. He didn't want to tell him. Didn't want him to feel any more guilt. But he had to, if he didn't answer the kid would be able to guess anyway so he might as well get it over with.

"He's gone. His throat was slashed." Reid nodded and fell silent once again. 

What Morgan didn't understand was, why bring a knife and gun? If he wasn't expecting Reid to be awake why bring both? He could have anticipated that Reid would be sleeping and just try to slash his throat. But he brought both. His thoughts were interupted by the sounds of his team arriving.

"Morgan." It was Hotch. He walked forward to stand beside Morgan. "How is he?" Hotch whispered so only Morgan could hear.

"I don't know," Morgan whispered back sadly.

"He'll get throught this. He's strong." 

"I know."