Prologue

"W-where am I?" I ask, all of my wounds are gone. That doesn't seem right, I clearly remember Thanos snapping my- oh.

"I'm dead aren't I?" I infer to the woman floating in the dark away from me. I can't tell who she is, she's too far away.

"Yes, sorry bout that Lackey, but it was kinda dumb to try and stab Thanos with a dagger,"

It takes all of my effort not to gasp at Valkrie, floating in front of me with her white armour.

"I-I can't go to Valhalla," I stutter, knowing that that's the reason Val's here, "I-I don't,"

"You don't deserve it? In some ways yes, but in some ways no. You died trying to defend Asgard, to protect your brother," I wince at the mention of Thor, "Although you weren't perfect, you died a hero's death,"

The inky darkness of death seems to slip away from me as I drop to my knees. I was dead. Dead as can be. My neck snapped by my own abuser.

Your birthright was to die!

Well, he was right, wasn't he?

Maybe you're not so bad after all brother.

Maybe not.

You really are the worst brother.

"Thor," I rasp, my voice thick with tears. I knew I shouldn't cry in front of Val, she would only make fun of me, but I couldn't handle it, I couldn't stand the fact that I was in a world without Thor.

"I-is he?" I question, unable to bear the thought that Thor might be dead too.

"No, your brother is alive,"

I choke out a sob of relief, grateful that he was still out there.

No, I can't go.

We were just starting to become brothers again.

"I- I really can't go to Valhalla," my voice breaks and for a second I'm shocked. Here I was, being offered a life of eternal bliss and happiness and I was trying to turn it down.

I assure you brother, the sun will shine on us again.

I might be the god of lies, but that is not one I am willing to break.

Val cocks her head, watching as I dried my tears, "You can't? Or you don't want to?"

I love Thor more dearly than any of you.

The Chitauri are coming.

You think you know pain? He will make you long, for something, as sweet as PAIN.

"They have no idea what they are up against," I lie, "They require my help,"

Val raises an eyebrow, "You really have changed, Lackey," she says, amused, "But coming back, it's different,"

"Different how?"

She shifts her weight uncomfortably, not wanting to say the answer.

"Just spit it out," I growl, "It can't be worse than anything I've been through already,"

I could've done it father, for you! For all of us!

No Loki.

"You can become a Fylgjur, forever following a spirit of your choice. But nobody is able to see you, only Valkyries,"

"Only you,"

"I'm sorry," Val says, her voice unnaturally caring compared to her usual personality.

Did you mourn?

Give up this poisonous dream and come home.

We can stop this, together.

I feel like everything will work out just fine.

I'll tell Father what you did here today.

I didn't do it for him.

"Thor," I say, my voice shaking even more.

"What?"

"Thor, I chose Thor as my spirit,"

Val sighs, unsheathing her sword, "Lakey, if you do this you can never go to Valhalla, you will be cursed to wander the nine realms forever. Go to Vahalla, you could be with Frigga"

Hello Mother, have I made you proud?

Frigga is the only reason you're still alive.

You are our son, Loki.

Then am I not your mother?

You're not.

I whirl around, facing her, "Don't you think I know that? Don't you think that I would love to go to the world of eternal niceties? I want nothing more, but Thor- I-I can't just leave him," I whimper towards the end, surprised by my own vulnerability.

Val opens her mouth, going to say something else but I speak before her, "Just do it, do it before I change my mind. I can handle whatever you're going to warn me about,"

She sighs again, as if to say 'Don't say I didn't warn you,' and she raises her Valkrie sword above my head, slicing my soul in half.