Chapter 6

There's a ringing in my ears and everything seems fuzzy.

It's the angry voice of Thor that crashes me back into reality, "What did you do?" He yells, voice raw with emotion, "What did you do?"

Thanos's hand is a blistering mess, but all he does is look me dead in the eyes before disappearing in his ball of blue smoke, Thor's axe clattering to the ground.

"Where'd be go?" A sound asks, but it sounds far off and watery. Nothing seems real anymore.

"Thor, where'd he go?"

Thor doesn't answer, his face contorted with hurt and agony. He thinks he's failed, I've seen him like this once before, after his coronation.

"Steve?" I whip my head around, turning towards the robotic armed soldier. I watch in horror as his real arm turns to dust, the rest of his body following, crumbling to the ground.

And then, I feel the tiniest bit of seiðr. Confused, I glance around.

It's his soul leaving his body. Just the smallest glimmer of orange.

Rogers marches over to the remains of his companion, staring in bewilderment at the ashes left behind.

The cat man. Tree. The Sorceress.

They're all gone. Dead.

It's all your fault.

The Tesseract, or your brother's head?

I am inevitable.

No resurrections this time.

The remaining Avengers are scattered across the battlefield, leaning over the mind stone carrier's dead body. Thor breathing heavily, a million different thoughts racing through his head.

"What is this?" One of the metal men asks, "What the Hel is happening?"

I failed.

The very thing I set out to do all those years ago. Create a team powerful enough to stop Thanos, it wasn't enough.

It's all my fault.

The Tesseract, or your brother's head?

"Oh god," Rogers mumbles.

But there are no gods in the land of Titans and monsters.

If I hadn't stolen the Tesseract from Asgard, none of this would've happened.

I'm so sorry, brother.

Forgive me.

I didn't mean to set your world on fire, that's just the way the matches fell.

~End of Part 1~