Chapter 5.

Present

The ultimatum Arthur gave me burned in my head when I went to bed, and it was still there bothering me when I opened my eyes with a hangover the next morning. I couldn't live with the thought of losing the three of them for the important parts of life. I really had to make this work with Charles.

I know we said we would really try when we talked last night, and I really meant it, but now with Arthur throwing this at me I feel more pressure to make it work.

A knock on the door made me lift my head against my will. I wasn't feeling like interacting with people yet, and I wasn't really feeling too well after all that wine from last night.

Carla opened the door and entered the room in her pajamas and her hair up. She didn't look to be feeling too well either. When I saw it was her, I just put my head down on the pillow again, and she walked in, grunted and whined as she sneaked into bed with me.

"Ce vin en valait-il la peine si c'est ainsi qu'on se réveille?" Was that wine worth it if this is how we wake up? she asks. I look over my shoulder at her, seeing her look up at the ceiling, "Oui, ça valait le coup," Yes, it was worth it, she concludes.

I let out a chuckle and I run a hand over my face just as we hear the front door downstairs open and close, followed by the voices of the two brothers walking up the stairs. Carla hadn't closed the door so we can see them walking into the kitchen all sweaty with their running shoes in hand. Both of them are shirtless.

Just seeing them like that makes me nauseous. I can't even think about running when feeling like this. They see us in my bed, and I hear Carla grunt at them, as they walk into the room, still panting. When I move a little so that I can see them without going through the struggle of lifting my head, Carla scoffs.

"Avez-vous parfois la gueule de bois?" Do you ever get a hangover? Carla asks them.

"Non," Arthur replies, walking up to the side of the bed she's on to kiss her.

"Menteur," Liar, I scoff at him.

Arthur leans over and flicks my forehead. I slap his hand away from him and I cover my eyes with my hand. Sneakily through my fingers I look at Charles standing in the doorway, all quiet, just watching us as he breathes heavily and using his shirt to dry his face from the sweat.

"Vous venez avec nous à l'océan?" Are you two coming with us to the ocean? Charles asks.

"Sommes nous?" Are we? Carla asks, turning her head to look at me. I look back at her and we exchange a few looks, trying to decide if we'll make it there without sweating alcohol.

"Bien sûr vous êtes," Of course you are, Arthur replies for us.

We might as well, considering it would be a waste of time just lying in bed all day when it's such a beautiful day out.

Arthur grabbed Carla's arm and started pulling her out of bed as she whined and tried to fight him, grabbing on to me and the sheets. I try to hold on to her while Arthur is pulling for his life. He looks up at his brother standing in the doorway just watching us while laughing, and he tells him to help him out.

Charles takes the t-shirt hanging from his shoulder and he throws it on the floor before walking up to my side of the bed. He reaches for my arm to pull it away from Carla, but the second he gets a good grip around my wrist it's like I freeze up, which just allows him to very easily pull me from Carla so that Arthur can pull her out of the bed, landing on the floor with a thud while Arthur wheezes from laughter.