Astral Projection

"Is it just me or does he seem off?" Iron Man asked Cap as they entered the oasis after Thor, who stood with Hyperion at the center of a dusty crater

Cap studied the Squadron Supreme's leader from a distance, noting the haunted quality on his face. Any other time he would have simply assumed the superhero was just worried about his fiance. Nightstar had just opened himself up to darker forces, after all. If that were to happen with Kyle, he knew he'd react similarly. But the circumstances they had been placed in were so far from the ordinary as to elicit an additional layer of caution. They were in a world that didn't play by the rules of reality. This was a landscape forged from the dark power of Nelvannu.

"Nelvannu might try to manipulate the two of them," Cap pointed out. "Out of the four of us, Thor and Hyperion are easily the most dangerous if they were to turn."

"Uh, excuse you?" Iron Man scoffed. "I happen to be very dangerous."

Cap scowled at his friend. "I think you know what I mean."

Iron Man stashed away his humor and nodded. "Yeah, buddy. I know."

"We couldn't fight them, not for long," Cap explained. "We wouldn't stand a chance."

The two heroes moved to join Thor and Hyperion, a sense of unease permeating the air around them.

"What's up?" Cap asked, his tone tight and serious.

"You mean you can't see it either?" Hyperion asked, exasperated.

Cap and Iron Man looked at Thor, who shared in their perplexity.

"Hyperion sees an oasis," Thor calmly explained, his tone placating.

"It's fine," Hyperion muttered before stomping away. "We don't have time to waste here. We need to find Taylor."

Thor hung back with Cap and Iron Man, all three of them watching as Hyperion ascended a steep hill of sand, slowly disappearing on the other side.

"An oasis?" Cap asked Thor.

"Yes," Thor slowly replied. "A hallucination."

"Something tells me we shouldn't drink the water," Iron Man quipped.

"He's masking his distress," Thor reported. "But I can see there is darkness in him. No matter how much he tries to suppress it."

"Nelvannu's playing with us," Cap grunted.

"Indeed," Thor agreed. "But I..."

The hill of sand exploded suddenly, sending a dense and impenetrable storm their way. And through the sand came two thin beams of yellow energy, aiming straight for Cap.

"Master, one of the hounds has escaped," one of Nelvannu's underlings knelt before his master and reported.

Nelvannu waved a hand. "The hounds are of no concern to me," he calmly said before returning his gaze to Loki and Amora as they adorned the babies with his blood.

Loki listened to the conversation even as he pretended to be fully engrossed in his work. The markings truly required an exactness that would make or break the magic, but Loki had no problems with dividing his attention. It was vital that he be aware of everything that transpired around him. One never knew when an opportunity might present itself. He was well aware of the situation he was in- Nelvannu sought release from his prison and offered power in exchange for their services. But he was no fool- he knew that once Nelvannu was restored to his former glory, it was very unlikely he would actually need anyone anymore. He, of all people, knew just how trivial an underling became once absolute power had been attained.  After Nelvannu unearthed the Great Beasts he would no longer require their services. He would see all of them crushed beneath the might of these primordial creatures.