One

From the moment I was born, I was unwanted, unappreciated, and abused. My father told me every day of my existence that he wished I was a boy, put me through rigorous training to make me tougher, and if I didn't succeed, I was beaten. Crying out for help that I knew I would never receive became a daily occurrence until I was old enough to fight back. At sixteen I emancipated from my fathers abusive home, living on the streets of the small town I was born in, until the day came of my eighteenth birthday. 

Waltzing into the Marine Corps recruiters office, I had a smile on my face, ready to face anything they decided to throw my way. Surely, if I could survive my fathers abuse I could survive being a marine.  

From that day forward, my life had dramatically changed for the better, I worked my way through the ranks of the Marine Corps until I was a Lieutenant in charge of my own unit. 

After a stressful day taking down a terrorist ring, I was pulled aside by none other than General Shepherd himself. Not many people had the pleasure of being in his presence, so I felt considerably honored just to be speaking with him. 

"Scarlett, I believe it is time you join a task force that specializes in terrorist groups. In my opinion, you are meant for more than just simply being a marine. Task force 141 looks for your arrival soon, and I have already set up a flight to get you to their safehouse that leaves tomorrow morning at five am." General Shepherd told me through the speaker in my phone. 

"Yes, Sir. I will be at the military airbase bright and early. Thank you, sir, for this opportunity." My heart was thundering inside my chest at his words. 

I couldn't help but wonder what it would be like joining a task force of such high importance. Of course, I had heard of Task force 141, who in the Marine's hasn't? They were a group of people from around the world that joined forces to take down the worlds greatest threats, and I couldn't wait to be a part of it. 

Truth be told, I had no idea what I was getting myself into, but I would soon find out.

The next morning, I showed up to the air base, packed and ready for my trip to the safehouse where the others would be awaiting my arrival. Butterflies were swarming in my stomach as my legs began to tremble with nervousness at just who these men would be. Did they know a woman was joining them? How would they react? Have they heard of me before? 

My mind was overtaken with nervous thoughts as a man stepped off of the plan and began walking towards me with a bright smile on his face. His hair was neatly cut into a mohawk type style and stubble graced his cheeks and chin. 

"Well, hello lass! Wasn't expecting you, if I am being honest. The name is Sergeant John McTavish, but everyone calls me Soap. I will be the one escorting you to the safehouse." The man, Soap, said to me in a heavy Scottish accent. 

"Lieutenant Scarlett Levison at your service, Soap." I said with a mock bow and a smile.

"Lieutenant, eh? Ghost is gonna have fun with that."

"Ghost?"

"One of our other task force mates, lass. You'll get used to him."

Great. I guess I was going to be walking into a house full of bigoted men. At least Soap seemed nice enough. Sighing, I grabbed my suitcase and followed Soap onto the plane to endure the six hour flight to the safe house that would now become my home.