Seven

After a rather quick shower, changing into jeans and a t-shirt, and tracking down Soap, I was now standing in front of Captain Price's office door preparing myself mentally to knock. If the Captain needed to see me, it couldn't be good.

Taking a deep breath, I raised my fist and softly knocked three times, then stood still awaiting his instruction to enter.

"Come in," I heard the Captain call out.

Opening the door I peeked my head around the corner to see him sitting at his desk, shuffling through paperwork, "Soap said you needed to see me, Sir?"

"Ah, Scarlett. Come in and shut the door please. I have something very important to discuss with you."

"Of course, Sir."

Walking inside his office, I quietly shut the door behind me and walked across the room until I was standing in front of his desk. My heart was thundering inside my chest, my brain thinking of the worst possible outcome of this conversation. 

Price immediately stopped shuffling through his paperwork and turned the entirety of his attention towards me, "Scarlett, this is a conversation you may want to sit down for."

I felt as though my heart would burst from my chest as I slowly sat down in the chair in front of his desk, my eyes burning as tears threatened to come  to the surface. 

"I'm sorry, Sir, but have I done something wrong?" I asked softly.

"Oh! No no no, Scarlett. You have done nothing wrong. There is just something that I need to discuss with you. I just figured this out recently myself and thought that you should know." Price answered me, his face lightening at the fear that was coating mine.

My body relaxed a little as he continued talking, "Scarlett, the man you grew up calling father, was not actually your biological father," Confusion was written all over my face as he rounded his desk and sat on the edge of it in front of me, "You see, your mother and I were engaged. I was assigned with a mission that turned out to be way more dangerous that originally thought. In order to protect your mother I faked my own death. What I didn't know at the time was that she was pregnant with you. Three months along, to be exact."

"So, what you're saying is, your my father?" I asked, bewildered.

"Yes, that's exactly what I am saying. I didn't know until about a week ago. I am sorry to have to dump this on you like this."

"But, how? You are barely older than I am."

Price laughed softly and shook his head, "Scarlett, I am in my early fifties. When I met your mother I was eighteen. You were born shortly after my twentieth birthday."

"Okay, this is a lot to process. I mean, it explains a lot. Like why he treated me so poorly and abused me my whole life. But, why wouldn't my mother tell me sooner?"

"To protect you, I assume. She knew my job within the military, and knew bad people would come after those I loved if she wasn't careful. That's why after I faked my death she was so quick to remarry and have another man claim you as his own."

 "I just- I need a minute."

I shot up from my chair and half ran out of his office, directly into my bedroom ignoring the concerned looks from Soap and Ghost alike.

Slamming my bedroom door shut, I walked to my bed and plopped myself down with my head in my hands. It wasn't long until I heard a soft knocking on my door. I ignored it, hoping that whoever it was would give up and leave, but to no avail. When I didn't answer, another three knocks sounded and a deep british accent sounded.

"Scar, let me in," Ghost said softly against my door.

I sighed, got up from my bed, and walked slowly to the door and opened it just enough for him to squeeze through. He closed the door behind him, and followed me to my bed and sat down next to me. 

"Wanna tell me what happened, love?" He asked, brushing stray hairs away from my face as his blue eyes looked deeply into my own.

"Apparently, the man who I grew up with wasn't my father. Price is my dad." I said softly, avoiding his gaze.

"Why are you so upset about it?"

"It's not that I'm upset per se, I'm just trying to process it all. Simon, I'm 30 years old, and am just now finding out that the man whom I thought was my father this whole time isn't actually my father. I mean, I'm glad he's not in a way because of how abusive he was, I just don't understand why no one told me sooner."

"I'm sure it was to protect you, love. Price has a very dangerous job, as you now know, and people we go after will hurt those that we love if we aren't careful."

"I know, I'm just going to need a little time to process it all. It's a lot to take in in one day."

Simon gently kissed my temple and pulled my head to the side to rest on his chest, "I will be here if you need me, love."

"Thank you, Simon."