Episode 1 ROMANCE DAWN Part 1

A/N: 04/15/24: Last edition of this entire series.

"... ever since I was a kid Shanks would tell me stories about pirates and their adventures. So, yeah, the sea's been calling!"

A young woman opened her eyes disoriented by her position leaning over the edge of a wooden structure, the smell of salt and swaying of the boat an immediate indicator of her location.

Right... She remembered. They had packed and left, been at sea for a while. Food levels were still good, but she had taken a nap to keep the hunger at bay. Now, as she looked upwards she found her brother happily chatting with a messenger pigeon, while tossing away the water slowly leaking into their small, rotting boat-

She gasped.

"Well, not exactly calling, because I pretty much can't swim, but you get the idea-"

"Luffy!"

"Oh, you're awake!" He chirped with a grin from ear to ear, before filling up a second bucket. "Good. 'Cause I was just telling this nice little fella over here we're setting out to follow our dream." Coral looked over her shoulder to see the bird warily eyeing their fruit and fish.

"Shoo, shoo!" She waved her hands around and it flew away with an annoyed graze sent her way.

"Not very nice." Luffy grunted. "You scaring who could perfectly be our third member-"

"Luffy, our boat is going down!" She stole the bucket off his hands and began to work diligently at keeping them afloat. "I told you- This piece of trash wouldn't last a minute at open sea-"

"It has brought us this far, hasn't it?" He asked smartly.

"Yeah, far enough to leave us stranded in the middle of nowhere-"

"No, can't do. No one is getting stranded anytime soon. Not before I become King of the Pirates!" He yelled at the top of his lungs, his arms up in the air, at which the young woman winced, feeling certain he had singlehandedly burst one of her eardrums. She dropped the bucket, and grabbed the side of his face pulling him closer with a serious expression.

"And you will, but remember what I told you? If we're doing this, we're doing it my way. What's my way?"

"The smart way." He grunted.

"A crew of two is not a crew-"

"Well, Mr. Pigeon you just-"

"Not. A. Crew." She let go of him, sighing before quickly picking up the bucket again.

"Ten loyal people. Got it!" Luffy pointed at her with both index fingers.

"That should do it... At minimum." She muttered as the water raised over her ankles. She sent a concerned look at the boy before the rotten wood beneath their feet finally gave in with a creak.

"Oop-" Thinking quickly, Luffy emptied the contents of a barrel filled with fish and offered her a hand.

"You've got to be kidding me." She stared at him.

"It will be like old times." He smirked.

"Funny." She accepted his hand to get into the barrel. "No way we'll both fit in here." The echoes of her voice came out of the container.

"My dear sister," He shook his head once, "don't you know I always find a way?" He too disappeared inside placing the lid on top.

"Gosh, Luffy, move your pointy knees-" The first voice echoed.

"Sorry." A deadpanned voice replied.

And so, a single barrel containing two teenagers inside navigated the open seas of the East Blue. Indeed, as the boy had mentioned, this wasn't the first nor would be the last time Coral of the Sea would find herself adrift inside a barrel.