Episode 2 THE MAN WITH THE HANDKERCHIEF Part 2

WARNINGS: torture, cursing.

10 YEARS AGO

Shanks and Makino returned to the ship. He walked in the middle of deck, calling the crew to pause their duties to pay attention to their captain.

"I need all eyes searching inside every barrel on this ship."

"What are we looking for, captain?" Mogul asked, Shanks noticing the confused look on Makino's face.

"A stowaway." He sent her a knowing smirk.

They searched all day with no success, but finding traces left behind from the little one. When both adults returned to the bar, there were also new traces that someone had been in the storage room and came back for more food.

For two whole days the girl kept traveling back and fort the establishment and ship without being seen by a single soul of experienced pirates, or if any of them ever did they decided to humor her against their Captain's wishes. Shanks had yet to see her himself, but although he tried to keep a stern front so the girl could be swayed to come out, it was hard containing his amusement during the whole ordeal.

It was him whom finally found her on the third day; the rest of the crew continued to sleep being early in the morning, the sun had already come out, but it seemed it was going to be a cloudy day for the wind was blowing. He wandered barefoot around the ship, listening to the sound of wood creaking, the crashing waves, the whistles in the air, and anything that could tell him the little stowaway had returned to the ship.

He walked the lower decks when he heard it. A thud on the floor, followed by a high-pitched gasp.

"That's why you children aren't allowed to wander down here." He told the girl who had stumbled on her way out of a barrel. She had fallen over a nail coming out of the old wooden boards of the ship and pulled it out from her palm. Blood was flowing out her hand. "Coral." He knelt down next to her. "Coral?" He tilted his head, noticing the girl was motionless like a rock statue. Her skin had turned white, her mouth was moving but uttering no sound. "Coral?" He repeated.

Truly, the girl was in shock.

THE PRESENT

By the time she trekked through the dense, marshy woodland, she was only semi-conscious she waded through the salt-water bodies pulled by the current somehow. The ruined town emerged back into view.

Orange Town read a sad signal she stepped on as she fumbled and crawled out of the water. The town appeared to have endured the aftermath of a full-blown conflict, resembling a place that had weathered a hundred tornadoes tearing through its homes. It was now nothing but a desolate landscape, a melancholic specter of its former self.

The only way to avoid the perilous pier infested with pirates on broad overalls and colorfully dyed faces had been to swim further away, around the island. As she dragged herself out of the woodlands, she left a trail of water behind, hearing nothing but the loud sound of her heartbeat in her ears and the crashing waves from the sea. The world spin in dizzying circles as she crawled towards what had once been a residence.

With the ceiling right over her head, she concealed herself in search of refugee. She laid down to catch her breath, her chest rising and falling. After a while, she straightened up and looked around at her surroundings. She crawled around the lowered structure, stones digging in her hands, and came upon an old cabinet turned sideways. Her quivering palms opened it: it was filled with iron cans of jelly. She grabbed one between her hands and used her nails and teeth to try to open it. No use.

She hit it against the floor. Food. She needed food. She needed the energy.

Nothing. She tossed the can away and covered her face, groans of reproach turning into sobs. She hadn't cried since she was a child.