Episode 9 THE GIRL WITH THE KISS OF THE SEA Part 2

Warning: Self-harm.

"The longer they elude you, the more satisfying the catch" A knowing smirk appeared on Garp's face as he sat facing Zeff over a cup of wine. They'd been alone since he sent his subordinates away a while ago. The old chef had been sharing stories about his old pirates adventures. In truth, and against what he'd told Coby, Garp had met the old Zeff in the past, only back then they'd stood at different sides of the battlefield.

"You know, you're not tricking me with your delicious stories." Garp continued, "I'm not hunting a boar."

"The last thing I want to do is put myself in the middle of a family dispute." Zeff responded, the facade falling off his face, "The kids are special. The boy reminds me of another pirate we knew back in our glory days-"

"Don't say it-"

"Not saying it it's not gonna make it less true. The kid reminds me of Gold Roger."

Garp's expression hardened.

"And look what happened to him. Executed. Skewered by Marine polearms. I don't want my-" He stopped himself, "I don't want the boy to suffer the same fate. Even less, I don't want him or any other miscreant to drag the girl down that road."

"She's smarter than you give her credit for. If anything, she might be the one dragging him around-"

"It is him who wants to be King of the Pirates."

"Not without her by his side. Those two come in a set." Zeff pursed his lips. "He stood up for Baratie when we were attacked. I might be out of the game, but I still live by the code." The boy had protected his people, so now he would protect his.

"Sir!" Coby leaned down to whisper something in the Vice-Admiral's ear, while Garp kept his eyes on Zeff as he listened to the new arrival. He pushed the chair back and stood up.

"Thank you for the meal." He told him, before he turned to his second standing a distance away. "Have the navigator set the course immediately for the Conomi Islands. Prepare all men in arms. Tell them we have a rescue underway."

"Yes, sir."

"Garp."

"This is exactly what I was talking about." Garp pointed a finger to the ground. "He can't take care of himself, even less someone else-"

"Your belittlement of her ain't doing favors to no one." Garp stared at him for a moment.

"You're not telling me how to look after my grandchildren."

"They're no longer children." Zeff stared back sternly. "She is a young woman and he is a fine young man." Garp's face twisted for a second, before it went back to its steel mask. Slowly, Zeff stood up from his chair too. "You have to know when it's time to let them go. Change is coming whether you want it or no. It's their turn now."

The Vice-Admiral's mask was blank:

"We'll see about that."

"Coral!" Nami gasped, rushing the last steps to grasp the bars in which she was trapped. "Coral-" She pulled from them, looking around for a way to open them. Her eyes met a large lock, the size of a cantaloupe and immediately pulled out one of her lockpicks.

"That's not gonna work." Coral said continuing eating her chicken leg and standing up from the floor. "I've tried." She casually dusted off her skirts with her free hand.

"What- How-" Nami was out of words, before her face hardened. "Did Arlong did this?"

"Apparently not. One of his cronies did. Nami-" Coral joined her right across the bars with a hurried step. "There's something iffy about this fishman."