Episode 4 THE PIRATES ARE HERE Part 2

"Utter the truth, conceal not nor deceive... for honesty's path heights of good fortune bring."

For a moment, Zoro thought Coral was back to speaking nonsense, but he recognized the words of Captain O Well right before he was hanged at the main plaza of Cavalia Island almost 30 years ago.

"He wasn't kidding." She groaned, but he didn't bother to look. Last he saw her, she laid sideways over the gravel, half of her face buried in it.

Click Clack Click Clack

"Thus treachery led me to the mud... Another famous last words." There was a temporary silent that vanished with a hollow Click Clack Click Clack. "I'm sorry for making this harder for you." The dreary voice traveled again, while he kept trying to get the hook out of well.

"Kuro must be stopped. I'm pulling us out." He said pragmatically, putting an end to the conversation.

"I'd leave me behind... But not really, I wouldn't... Please don't."

She was doing worse, the whole drug ordeal had put a strain on her body. Because of being barely able to keep herself conscious, he'd considered it, before he realized that if he were to come back for her later, they'd probably find 2 corpses instead of one. In her state, it simply wasn't an option.

This is why he did things on his own. While he wouldn't openly admit it, teams could be a liability. The only training partner he'd ever had always kept up, even surpassed his abilities...

Click Clack Click Clack. He snatched the hook up with a snarl.

.... and yet, here he was in a situation she, Shimotsuki Kuina, would've never found herself in. Trapped inside a well.

"A friend wouldn't do that, I suppose-"

"I'm not your friend." He cut her, having enough of her ongoing familiarity and the conversation on whether anyone was leaving anyone else behind. "Save that for the idiot that brought us into this mess."
Heavenly silence filled the pit.

Click Clack Click Clack -interrupted by a fit of violent coughing. He couldn't remember the last time he'd been sick himself. Injured, plenty times, but sick not since he was a child. He looked over his shoulder as the coughs receded into silence again.

"I deserve this." She was speaking to herself. "Yeah... Yeah I do." He stared with a blank expression, as she whispered, burying her face in her arm to clean her teary eyes, "I'm such an idiot..."

"What did you do?" Zoro frowned.

"What's wrong with me?" Now it was she who ignoring him. "Where is my moral compass?"

"What did you do?" He repeated, a hint of real curiosity in his tone the second time.

"I have stolen in the past, okay?"

"No shit." The irony did not fly over her head as he thought it would. "The keys." He reminded her.

"That marine wasn't my friend." She wheezed, trying to raise on her elbows. Dark, curly tendrils fell over her face as she panted. "And we were on a mission."

He remembered how she'd insisted on it even then and wondered how her classification process worked. She certainly had no repairs on putting Nami and him so quickly in that box. But to ask would be to openly engage on a conversation he wasn't comfortable with: he had only ever had one friend and she was gone. And meanwhile, he was trapped inside a stupid well.

"Kaya seems a better friend than I could ever be..."

"Kaya?" Zoro crossed his arms, eyes narrowed as dots fell into place. "Let me guess." He looked up in the air. "She made you cover for her."