Episode 4 THE PIRATES ARE HERE Part 1

WARNINGS: creepy nightmares.
Edited

His body felt stiff and sore, his face pressed into rough gravel surrounded by darkness. Zoro turned on his back, grunting. Up above the wishing well the moon was high in the sky. He recognized the place, or at least wished to believe it was the same well they had walked by coming into the mansion grounds.

Usopp and him had discovered the death body of Merry, the man that had accompanied them during dinner and Kaya's lawyer, when they went down to the wine cellar, leaving Luffy in the kitchen. The butler and his two coworkers had been there as well. They were actually Kuro and the Black Cat Pirates all this time, unknown to the sick Kaya. They had fought and somehow managed to knock him out. Now he woke up at the bottom of a pit, Usopp and Luffy nowhere in sight. But they must be alive, for the cold body of Merry laid not too far away from him and-

He slowly crawled towards the second one, a knot formed in his stomach as he easily recognized the silk gown and long, dark hair. He turned the frail body around, expecting to find the five knife wounds as Merry had. Fortunately, it was clean, but he noticed something else beside the hook clenched at the back of the coat she wore: Coral wasn't unconscious, she actually moved, shivered, her eyes were open, her pupils dilated and she mumbled under her breath words without meaning.

Zoro stood up with a frown. If his gut was anything to go by, he bet it had been one those strange medicines he'd eyed warily himself. He walked to the eye of the well, looking up.

An idea came. He dragged the bodies further to the side and unclenched the hook off the girl tied to a rope, probably the way she'd been brought down into the well. With a groan under his breath, as he hadn't been given the same courtesy, he turned the rope around his elbow

Click Clack Click Clack

The metallic sound rattled each time he tossed the hook up in the air only to fall back to the ground; he was trying to secure it above by the edge of the well to climb up. He tried again-

Click Clack Click Clack

and again-

Click Clack Click Clack

the rope going in circles around his hand and elbow to retrieve it whenever he failed.

Patience was growing thin. It wasn't his greatest asset.

Click Clack Click Clack

He sensed movement and turned to watch the previously semi-unconscious girl sit up. He remained still as she crawled across the shrubbery, her hand up in the air opening and closing, as if wanting to grab something invisible, before touching the damp walls of rock.

"What're you doing?" He asked.

She gasped, searching around for the owner of the voice. Even in the darkness, he saw her dilated eyes focusing on him when they found him. Coral raised a finger to her lips and shushed him before placing an ear to the wall, eyes looking up towards the moonlight coming into the well. With a crease between his brows, he began retrieving the rope again, not once looking away.

"Can you hear them?" She whispered.

"You've been drugged." He tried to reason.

"I thought they were gone..." Her eyes were lost in the air. He kept turning the rope and observing her in silence. "Listen, listen!" He stopped and looked to the side, fooled for a second that there might be something to hear. Maybe something coming from the mansion? "The voices." She breathed. "It's Mother Sea... she has a hundred voices." He stared at her for a whole minute in deep thought, well acquainted with the origins of Luffy's sister for the boy hadn't bothered not to share the story when he hadn't even asked for it.