Episode 2 THE MAN IN THE HANDKERCHIEF Part 1

THE PRESENT

"Gather around on deck, everyone." The strange boy exclaimed with his hands around his mouth, making Nami seethe too herself and jump off the sail, falling right next to him.

"Hey-" She warned him.

"Hey!" The boy smiled as if they were greeting each other.

"Rather lackluster." The pirate hunter muttered coming to stand between them.

"Hey!" She barked, then turned towards the pirate of name Luffy. "A gently reminder that this is my boat." She said, going back at the pirate hunter. "Show some respect."

When Nami looked to the front, the other girl was standing across from her. The rubber boy's sister. She had observed her sitting near the prow, trying to tie together the loose threads coming off the lower part of her ruined skirts. Now, she stood across the large metal safe, offering her a smile that Nami found herself looking away from.

The boy continued as if she hadn't uttered a word:

"Now that we're a crew-"

"Not a crew." She said, the pirate hunter echoing her, making her scowl at him.

Only an idiot of a pirate would consider traveling around with a pirate hunter...

The boy looked at his sister, absentmindedly back at trying to fix her skirts. Sensing his gaze, the girl looked up at him and zipped her mouth, avoiding any confrontation.

"Mutinous." He muttered with a smile at her lack of support, before looking at them. "I believe some introductions are due. Nami, these are Roronoa Zoro and my sister, Coral of the Sea." He motioned at each of them.

Coral of the Sea. Nami frowned. Quite pretentious for an unimpressive girl.

"Shouldn't she be a Monkey D.-" Why do I bother? "You know what?" She said instead, "I'm not gonna ask." Her eyes fell on the girl, before adding sincerely: "It's somewhat refreshing to have another girl around, not gonna lie."

For so long, Nami'd been only surrounded by men... sort of.

"Last ship we came upon, this evil captain tried to toss me overboard only because of it." Coral of the Sea said out of the blue.

"And you are sharing this because...?" Nami asked her, the younger girl's smile disappeared with a gulp. Nami looked away with a blink of her eyes and a shook of her head.

Luffy clapped his hands, a wide smile on his face and returned the motion:

"Coral, Zoro, this is Nami. She helped stealing my map from Captain Morgan's office-"

"Your map." Nami snorted falling on her knees. "Much use that will be unless I manage to open this shit show." She placed her hands over the large, black, metal safe, rushing towards the golden knobs with the familiarity of someone's who's tinkered with stuff for a long time, almost a second nature.

"I trust you can do it, Nami." She ignored the boy.

"You wouldn't happen to have food around here, would you?" The other girl asked out loud warily. Nami's eyes flickered upward.

The siblings- not twins- couldn't be older than her. The girl Coral had to be close to her in age, still an uncomfortable feeling knotted Nami's own stomach at the sight of her.

As a child, she had once heard her mother say women have a glow in their eyes when they love. This girl had the opposite of a glow, it was a shadow of exhaustion. At some point, she had experienced it herself and it took one to identify another.