014

Delight was in the kitchen peeling a yam for dinner preparation. Her older sister came in and stood by the door, observing her for a while. When Delight didn't notice her, she walked closer to her.

Maria crossed her arms, eyeing her little sister. "What's wrong with your face?"

Delight frowned as she glanced at her sister. "What do you mean?"

Maria looked at Delight, then at the yam she held, and back at Delight. "You've been moody since you got back last night," she said. "I didn't say anything because I thought you would eventually come to tell me."

Without sparing Maria another look, Delight let out a sigh and said, "I'm fine."

Maria rolled her lips in for a moment. Despite what anyone could say, they were very much alike in terms of their temperament. It was one of the reasons they got along so well. "Delight, I'm not stupid. I know when you're upset so don't treat me like a fool."

In the heat of the moment, Delight left the knife and yam in her hands on the table. She turned to her sister. "There's nothing to tell you because nothing happened."

"If so, why are you giving me attitude?"

"Which attitude? I can handle my man just like you did with yours."

"Oh, this is about Andrew."

Delight's lips formed a thin line. She stared at Maria whose gaze held satisfaction in that she was getting her way. The silence lasted between them. On Maria's part, she was giving her sister time to gather her thoughts and explain to her what exactly the problem was.

"Has he found another woman?" Maria decided to push even further since it seemed an explanation wasn't forthcoming.

Delight's chuckle was light, short, and suppressing. "Never. He's not like that and he wouldn't do that to me."

"Delight, all men are like that. It's just their ability to control that's different."

"Andrew is not Kingsley." She blurted out without thinking. Maria stared at her. Her gaze embodiment of strong but hurt. Then she turned away to leave.

"Wait. Wait, I didn't mean it like that." Delight apologised before Maria could take three steps away.

Maria turned back to her. "Don't lie. You did. Yes, I took another woman's husband from her. Anyone can say that to me but not you. You were there. You knew that he came to me first. Your advice encouraged me. But now, you want to play..."

"Andrew suggested we break up."

Silence filled their atmosphere. Maria's eyes were softer, pity and sadness like a cloak on her face.

"Did he give his reason?"

Delight took in a deep breath. "Something about not feeling the same way about me. Can you imagine? How's that even possible? I know I've felt love from him. He cares about me."

Maria bit her lower lip casually. "Were you guys ever intimate?"

Delight lazily blinked a few times. "We didn't get there yet..."

"You're sure there's no other woman involved."

"I told you, he's not like that. Besides, this is just a setback for us. It's the only reason why I didn't want to say anything to you because it's not over." Delight returned to her work, this time, she began cutting the yam into big chunks. "Andrew is kind, patient, loving and his family is very stable. I'm twenty-seven and at this age, I would be a big fool to let the perfect husband material like him slip away from me."