021

Almost 3 years ago...

The third knock came through the door. Ijeawele hastened her pace from the kitchen towards the living room. She opened it and in front of her stood Maria in a slightly above the knee denim skirt and a navy blue and white striped T-shirt. A black fancy slipper on her feet. Over her shoulder hung a cream-coloured tote bag. The protrude of the bag under her arm was obvious she had more things hidden away there. Her long braids have been gathered to the back with a plastic band. Maria's smile was simple and humble.

"Can I help you?" Ijeawele's question came through in a nice tone.

"Um, I—we talked on the phone earlier. My name is Maria."

"Oh, yes." Ijeawele placed a hand on her forehead, silly that she forgot.

"The hairdresser? Right?" Ijeawele asked to be sure and the young woman nodded her head with a wider smile on her face.

"Uh..." Ijeawele stood frozen for a second as she calculated in her head on what to do next. She thought she would've been able to finish cooking before the hairdresser got her. But she hasn't. In fact, a pan of boiling oil with frying chicken was still on fire.

"Okay, come in." She spoke up in the end while she stepped to the side to let the woman walk in before she closed the door.

"You can sit." Ijeawele directed to the dark brown couch in the living room they were in. "I'll round up what I'm doing and be with you soon." She added the moment Maria sat down. Then she turned to walk away only to run into her husband, Kingsley. He'd just stepped out of the bedroom on account of his curiosity as to who'd been knocking. Their apartment wasn't the biggest but with two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a kitchen and a cosy living room, the couple was okay.

"Kingsley." Ijeawele called, a bit surprised to see him. "Did we wake you?"

Kingsley ran a hand over his head before sitting on the available couch. "No, the aroma of your cooking woke me." He wore a smile after and she briefly smiled back.

"This is Maria. The home service hairdresser I told you about." Ijeawele introduced and his eyes shifted from her to Maria, the young lady sitting in a charming calm and poise. She smiled at him.

"And Maria, this is my husband, Kingsley."

Now, Kingsley was reciprocating her smile with one of his.

"Good morning, sir." She greeted whilst debating whether to go for a handshake or to get up on her feet.

"Hello, Maria." Kingsley stretched out a hand for a handshake and she gladly accepted it. "I look forward to you making my wife look even prettier."

He smiled. Maria smiled and Ijeawele smiled too. She looked from Maria to her husband. Finally, her eyes fell on their hands still held together.

Ijeawele's thoughts never wandered off or insinuated ill ideas at least once.

"I'll be back." She said before hurrying back to the kitchen.

Kingsley's smile broadened, very welcoming. He released the handshake before leaning back into his seat. "So, Maria, how did you meet my wife?

Present day...

Ijeawele's elbows rested on her table, her fingers interlocked and her chin rested on them. She'd spaced out in her office. Actually, she hadn't been herself since her encounter with Andrew hours ago. Sometimes, she would recall herself and get on with work then in between, she would space out again.

Ijeawele shifted her gaze to the time on her laptop. It was almost five thirty. Andrew's words came to her mind once again.

Let's have dinner together. Tonight. I'll wait for you at the bus stop by 5:30.