029

"Argh!" Delight threw her phone on the long counter below the wide mirror attached to the wall. She slumped into one of the swivel chairs in front of the mirror. Her chest could be seen going up and down. She wore a frown and got lost in thoughts.

Her older sister who'd been busy getting ready to close down the saloon for the day noticed her tantrum.

"Delight, are you okay?" Maria asked and waited for a reply. When her younger sister said nothing, she approached her.

"Delight!" Maria shook her arm. "What is it?"

"I... It's Andrew. He's still not picking my calls. I don't understand. I've tried everything, everything to make him understand. But he refuses to give me a second chance. I mean, how can he forget me so easily? It doesn't make sense."

Maria folded her arms below her chest, looking away from her sister. "Hmm."

Delight wore a deeper frown the second she noticed the look on her older sister's face. "What is it?"

Maria shifted her gaze back on Delight. "I think he has another woman."

"What? No... he can't."

Maria narrowed her eyes. "Why not?"

Delight was silent. She simply stared at her sister, her frown slowly dissipating.

"Exactly." Maria added. "There's no reason why he wouldn't be with another woman."

After a while of processing what her sister said, Delight rested her elbows on her knees and buried her head in her palms. "This can't be happening. I really, really love Andrew. It's hard for me to let him go."

Maria began soothing her sister's back. "I understand. Once upon a time, I felt the same way with Kingsley."

Delight lifted her head. "I have to find out."

"What do you mean?"

She abruptly stood up from her seat forcing her older sister to take a quick step back.

"I have to find out who this woman is. What kind of person is she? What does she have that I don't? And how could she have made him forget me so easily."

Maria's frown appeared for a few seconds while she thought about her sister's words.

"Are you sure you want to do this?"

Delight nodded with reassurance. "I can't make a decision until I find this out."

Maria sighed, raising her hands in the air. "Okay. You helped me when I needed your help. I'll always be there to do the same for you, anytime."

Delight smiled. Somehow, she could taste victory already.

#

The lights in the living room were switched off and Ijeawele laid on the couch. Her eyes were glued to the display on the television. Anything to help her get her mind off her wandering thoughts. The light on her phone came on. She reached for it on the centre table and half sat up while she stared at the screen.

The sight of a text message from Andrew left her frozen for a short while. She debated on whether not to tap on it or not. Ijeawele was aware of how ridiculous her inability to face the dance head on might seem. But her fears were real. Very real. And she was having a hard time navigating against it. Her motto so far had always been to avoid anything that tampered with her stability. With Andrew, she just can't seem to avoid him.

Then she sat up straight, letting her legs touch the floor and unlocked the phone. She tapped on the message, finally succumbing to the pressure.

Can we talk? I'm outside your gate. I'll wait for you.