035

They held hands and walked into the movie theatre together that evening. On the other hand, Andrew carried popcorn. The movie showing at six-thirty just began and the lights were already out. There were people seated. And still, there were a lot of empty seats. Andrew led the way to the middle row seat. They sat right next to each other. He offered her the popcorn one more time although she had refused to get one herself outside the theatre room. Ijeawele shook her head with a light smile knowing he was just being a gentleman.

A few minutes into the movie, Ijeawele stole a few glances at Andrew. Finally, he met her gaze. His brows raised in question.

"I need to use the restroom." Ijeawele replied in a low voice.

Andrew nodded in understanding. "Do you want me to escort..."

She chuckled. "I'll be fine."

He stood up to let her walk past him. Ijeawele went straight to the restroom which wasn't hard to locate especially with the pictograph hung in front of the door. It was empty when she walked in.

Finally, she stepped out of the cubicle after relieving herself and went straight to wash her hands. Then proceeded to wipe her wet hands with some tissue papers. Ijeawele stared at her reflection in the wide and clear mirror. The rumpled lines on her shirt reminded her how they came here straight from work. At least the next day was the weekend. It has been a long time since she went on a date with a man she really liked. Ijeawele had many concerns. Certain fears creeping up on her.

She shook her head at her trailing thoughts and hurried out of the restroom back to the theatre room. In the dark, Ijeawele stood, her eyes lurking for where she was seated. Andrew waving to her was what caught her attention and she was making her way to him.

Ijeawele couldn't help but sigh in relief the moment she sat down. She turned to Andrew who had been staring at her.

"Is everything okay?"

She nodded. "Yes." And smiled at him. He smiled back.

Almost thirty minutes into the movie, Ijeawele could barely understand what was happening. Here in front of them was an American action movie. Andrew did ask her earlier to choose any of the showing movies which might be in line with her preference. There were only two movies left to play this evening and both were American. So, she picked this. Now, she didn't find it as enjoyable as she would like.

Andrew leaned closer to her. "Are you enjoying it?"

Ijeawele shifted her gaze to him. It was like he had read her mind.

I don't understand anything and it's killing me. Ijeawele could have said that. The old her would say that. But now, she's staring into Andrew's eyes. She knew all he really wanted was for them to spend time together. This was one of his attempts.

So, she replied with a smile. "It's good."

"Are you sure? We can leave if you don't like it."

"I'm fine." Ijeawele assured him.

Andrew held her hand and looked into her eyes.

"Remember we said no lying to each other. So, you don't have to spare my feelings. I'm not happy if you're not happy."

She hesitated a while.

"Fine. It's so and so. But we paid for it. We can't walk away."

Andrew furrowed his brows even though the clear amusement was painted across his face. "Yes, we can." He stood on his feet, pulling her up with him and they quietly left the theatre room.

#

Gift stepped out of the bathroom; her dreadlocks bundled into a bonnet. She noticed her husband sat up on the bed with a book in his hand while he read. Then went on to apply her facial routine before getting on the bed next to Ebenezer. Gift laid on her side and stared at her husband.