18. A Halloween Trick

the baby project — act two
" welcome to parenthood "
﹙ 𝗔 𝗛𝗔𝗟𝗟𝗢𝗪𝗘𝗘𝗡 𝗧𝗥𝗜𝗖𝗞. ﹚

 ﹚

     "SHE'S A CHILD

"SHE'S A CHILD."

"Yeah, and she's my child."

Addie stared at her fake baby and of all the antics George had put her through since they got Shelley, dressing her up in a pumpkin costume seemed most fitting to sum up their family dynamic.

Her face soured at how the tacky orange fabric made her baby look overweight. "Yeah, because she's orange."

George's shoulders sagged and he cocked his head to the side disappointed. He had really thought he'd nailed his costume choice. "Unnecessary."

"Awh," Addie pouted, feigning sympathy, "I'm kidding," she said, leaning over to ruffle his ginger locks. Her aggressive rubbing caused his hair to end up looking like an orange nest, flopping over his eyes. "I love your orangeness."

When she pulled away, George's eyes lit up and he flicked the hair away so he could look at her properly. A genuine grin flashed across his face, his teeth on full display. "Really?"

Addie didn't care for the hope in his voice because she was only ever going to shut it down. "No," she deadpanned before hopping to her feet. "Shelley doesn't need a Halloween costume," she told him, picking up her bag. She rounded the sofa and crossed her arms, waiting rather impatiently for George to follow her out of the common room.

"You hate Halloween, don't you?" George asked as they passed through the Gryffindor common room. George rarely knew where they were going and this time was no exception.

Addie wavered slightly, her feet floundering beneath her before she shook away her furrowed brows and kept walking. "N-no." The real answer was yes. She despised Halloween. The childishness of it, the stupid costumes, how everything had to have a pumpkin on it when pumpkins were just another fruit so why them? But Addie didn't want George to act all self-righteous because he guessed something right about her.