✧Chapter 1✧

Dawn woke up, her paws still aching from the last battle with Thornpack. Her soft fur hasn't dried very well in the hard stone tunnel. She stood up and looked around at everyone.

Alpha was sleeping further in the tunnel with Beta, her mother, while Stump, the Omega was sleeping at the entrance. She walked outside. A light mist has filled the air, but Dawn could still see the trees on the other side of the clearing.

Suddenly, she heard footsteps coming from behind her. She quickly smelled Swift's annoying smell, and shortly after, he let out a teasing howl.

„I saw you fighting in the battle. I didn't know you were so weak!" he said.

„Oh, come on," Dawn rolled her eyes, visibly annoyed by his jokes.

„You should be stronger, since you're the Beta's daughter. I'm surprised that Alpha hasn't made you the Omega. He made his own brother one, i don't see why he wouldn't do it to a short wolf like you!" Swift continued teasing.

Dawn just walked away, not paying attention to him, and looked around the place. The weird stench was everywhere and there were puddles of dirty water on several places. Plus, it was still too close to Thornpack. They couldn't stay here, they had to move elsewhere. Dawn turned around and came face to face with Swift.

„Oh, Dawn! You know i was just joking! I would never want Alpha to demote you to Omega, you don't deserve it," he said.

„Yeah, sure" she snarled at her cousin. Alpha came out of the tunnel a moment after their conversation and came up to them.

„Since you two are already awake, why don't you go and hunt something?" he said.

„Hunt? Here in this wasteland?" Swift protested.

„Then go hunt farrer away from here, the pack needs strength before finding a new place to stay."
Dawn nodded respectfuly and bounded away from the tunnels, only for Swift to quickly take the lead and tease her again for her speed. He ran through the mist, not paying attention to how much sound he was making. Dawn couldn't keep up with him and stopped under a tree, panting from exhaustion.

„Come on, Shortie!" he shouted.

„Can you please just leave me alone?" she complained.

„We are on a hunt! You can't be so slow," he continued.

„I'm just, thinking about... everything. You know, how we lost our home and all that. I just still can't belive it happend," Dawn looked at the sky. The air was starting to clear from the mist and the sun started shining again.

„We don't need that territory anyway," Swift rolled his eyes, clearly annoyed by the thought of being beaten in battle, „we should start hunting for now," he turned around and paded into the forest.

Dawn followed him, and started sniffing the ground and bushes for any scent of prey. The hunt wasn't really succesful, they weren't used to hunting in the light. They only caught two rabbits. Both would stick around longer to try and catch more, but after yesterday's battle they were tired and still a little weak. They returned back to the tunnels.

„Only two rabbits?" Alpha didn't even bother to sniff the catch.

„We are tired and weak," Dawn answered.

„And we are used to hunting at night. We should have expected this when you sent us to hunt in the morning," Swift said.

Alpha sighted. He looked at the sky and then at his pack. By the time they were gone, Kestrel and Rain have waken up.

„What will we do?" Kestrel asked. She overheard their conversation.

„I will send out more hunting parties later. When we have enough strength, we will find a new camp," Alpha answered.

Dawn nodded, walked away and layed into the wet grass. It was comfortable, better then the hard tunnel. Kestrel walked over to her and licked her muzzle.

„Don't worry, we will find a new home soon," she told her.

„I hope so... i'll miss our old territory,"

„I'm sure that it will be much better. There will be no Thornpack to annoy us," Kestrel said while laying down next to her daughter.

„I love you," Dawn looked up at her and closed her eyes. She had to rest her tired muscles and the best way to do it was next to her loving mother. Her mind started drifting away and she fell unconcious.

Suddenly, Dawn woke up. She had fell asleep while cuddling with her mother but now, Kestrel was no where around her. She stod up, feeling relaxed and full of energy and looked around. There was only Swift, Storm and Stump in the tunnel and the sun was high up on the sky. Dawn cautiosly went outside, looking for the rest of her pack.

„They all went hunting," sounded a crankly voice behind her „you two were sleeping like dead, nothing could wake you up, so Alpha told me to look after you while they left." It was Storm. The old female wolf was looking at her from the tunnel.

„Did they really leave us here all alone?"

„Yeah, they did. Only the useful ones went hunting, including Alpha," Storm answered.

„That's very weird... He usually doesn't go hunting..."

„These are hard times and we need as much food as possible, which means everyone capable of hunting has to help," Storm replied and curled up on the stone ground again. Dawn looked around the tunnel again and noticed that Stump's eyes were open. He was listening to their conversation the whole time. It must have really hurt him to hear them talking about this. Dawn looked away from him and glanced outside, waiting for the rest of the pack to return.