✧Chapter 19✧

Swift, Mist and Hawk pulled the deer next to Rain's hares, while Thunder just hung around with Dawn. Swift had his eye on him, as he seemed to be getting closer to her but then he remembered his own interest in Mist. Alpha came up to the prey, Beta following him. Her belly was still not round enough for her to be ready to give birth to her puppies. The black wolf howled, even though everyone was already sitting in a circle around the food. He took his share, a hare and a bite of the deer, Beta then took the same, a large hare and a bite of the deer's flesh. They both stepped back to eat their food and everyone else went for the catch.

It was chaos again. Swift was able to catch a large bite of the deer's meat. Everyone got enough to eat, and there were even leftovers. Ovce every wolf has eaten up their share, Alpha came up to them.

„Burry the rest, we'll eat it tomorrow," he ordered and walked away to lay down with Beta, his mate.

Rain, Hawk, Mist, Swift and Thunder all stood up, ready for the job. First, they dug up a hole, deep enough for the prey. Swift had memories of him, Rain and Dawn burrying Storm's dead body. The old she-wolf had died from an illness caused by poisoned rats that Mist and her friends missed. They then pulled the deer into the hole and Thunder with Dawn, who came too, carried the rest of the rabbits there, dropping them down.

„This deer was delicious," Rain praised the four for their catch.

„I know, right? I saw it first, Swift used his speed to outrun it, Hawk killed it with his strength and Thunder? Thunder was just useless," Mist answered with a taunting laugh towards her red furred friend, who just frowned.

They all came to their dens, curling up in their nests and falling asleep. Only Swift had difficulties with sleeping. The moon was shining through the clouds that were gathering faster than a fleeing rabbit. He kept rolling around and trying to clear his mind off thoughts but there were too many and Thunder's snoring also wasn't very helpful. He eventualy ended up falling into dreamless sleep not long after.

Swift heard a loud screech and immediatly jumped on his feet, his ears held high. He ran out of the den to see what was happening, but there was nothing unusuall in the clearing. Another screech came from the den where Alpha and Beta slept together. Swift ran over to it, looking inside and seeing three slim clumps of orange and black fur. Further into the den, Alpha was growling at the intruders while Beta was hiding behind him. Swift quickly understood the situation he was in. Three foxes have snuck into camp at night and invaded Alpha's den, their target probably being the pregnant she-wolf with cream fur.

He knew that it was better not to alert the foxes that he was behind them and lose his advantage of surprise. He felt something brushing against his fur and turning his head, he realized it was Mist, who probably also heard the screech. No one else was there with them and there wasn't any time to go try and wake someone up. They had to do something and help Alpha, even though it felt wrong to help the black wolf. Swift rather thought of saving the Beta, Kestrel, who was Dawn's mother.

He nodded to Mist and they both quietly crept behind the foxes. Swift jumped at one of the orange animals and bit into it's scruff. The fox screeched and tried to throw him off, ending up succesful. On the other side of the den, Mist held a fluffy orange tail in her sharp teeth and threw the fox she was fighting with away. It crashed into a wall made of sticks and mud, which cracked a bit under the pressure. Mist put her paw on the animals head, pinning it down and not allowing it to stand up. Swift, distracted by the beautifull she-wolf, suddenly felt paws pushing into his side and he fell to the ground.

He hit his head against a rock and his vision went black for a moment. Sharp teeth lightly bit into his neck, but disappeared before they could draw any blood and the paws on his side stepped back. Swift's vision returned and he stood up to see Mist pinning the fox down. The she-wolf had blood on her fangs and as he glanced to the other side of the den, he saw a motionless fox body with a bleeding throat. Alpha was growling at the fox he was fighting with before in a deffensive position. The orange animal whined, turning around and running away. Swift turned to Mist and the fox under her paws noticed it's leader fleeing from the battle. It threw Mist off with it's back legs, stood up and ran out of the den.

The wolves have won and celebrated their victory. Swift was embarassed that he had to be saved by Mist and tried to make up for it by grabbing the dead fox and carrying it out of camp where he and Mist burried it. Upon returning, they were greeted by Dawn who invited them to her den.

Once inside, they saw Beta laying in a nest. She had some wounds from the battle but not too much. Swift and Mist got their own nests to lay in and Dawn got to work, jumping from one wolf to another with herbs and leaves in her mouth.