✧Chapter 17✧

Swift woke up in his nest and was instantly blinded by sunshine that had flooded the whole den. He regreted even opening his eyes, quickly moving into the shadows, and looked at the newbies. They were all sleeping close to one another. Mist's beautifull silver fur and one cardinal feather on her ear particulary stood out to him. He let them sleep in peace and walked out of the den, spotting Rain and Dawn talking in the clearing. He trotted towards his friends, glad to have them. Without them, he would be completely alone with no one to keep him company.

„Swift, sit down, we have something to tell you," said Rain when he noticed him coming.

The old grey wolf was the wisest in Fieldpack, so Swift expected something serious from him. He sat down to listen to what they have to say.

„So, after Thornpack drove us out, Alpha has recieved a... Prophecy. It was about wisdom, friendship and speed saving our pack and finding the Sunrise valley. At first, Alpha picked Wind to be one of us, but, then he died... We thought that it was because it was a wrong choice and Moon wanted to punish us for it. I suggested you were meant to be the one, we had doubts about it first and Alpha told us not to tell you. But we think you deserve to know this, even if we go against Alpha's orders. You earned our trust and we now know that you're worthy of it," he said, looking into his eyes.

At that moment, Swift felt anger filling him and his heart beated faster. He bared his teeth.

„So his death was Alpha's fault? He's gone just because of his stupid decision? Did Moon send the big claw to get rid of him for this?" he growled angrily.

„We don't know, please, just calm down... Don't let your anger take control over you!" said Dawn, her fear shining through her eyes.

„How can I calm down when I just found out who caused my brother's death?"

„Please! We don't know if it's true..." his cousin kept begging him.

His rage was overflowing by that point and he completely lost self control. The next thing he knew, Dawn was crouching in front of him, her shoulder bleeding and tears falling from her terrified eyes. He pulled back, as Rain jumped inbetween them to protect Dawn. Swift looked at his paws and found out that one of them was covered in blood.

„Control yourself Swift!" he growled at him, „Look what you've done!"

„I'm sorry- I don't know what has gotten into me..." Swift tried to apologize.

„Rain, no. He didn't mean to do it..." said Dawn, „He just can't control his anger sometimes."

Rain sighed and escorted Dawn to her den so she could treat her wound. Swift was drowning in quilt caused by both Wind's death and Dawn's injury and for a moment he felt numb. Life didn't feel real, as if it was all just a dream. A voice and pawsteps made him snap out of his mind and look around.

Mist was walking out of their den her beautifull yellow eyes curiously glowing. She came closer to Swift and looked down it his paws. She pulled back, terrified by his right paw, covered in blood.

„Where is that from?" she asked suspiciously.

„I just... Got into a little... Accident," Swift answered.

He heard some noises from behind him and looked around again. Alpha was standing there, smiling at him. He looked particulary stranger than normaly, almost evil, but his expression changed and he turned his head to the side when Beta entered the clearing. Her belly was bigger than before and Swift was even surprised by it, even though he knew she was expecting pups. Maybe it was because he didn't see her for a long time and it grew bigger.

Turning back to Mist's stunning eyes, he felt guilty. She looked as if she didn't trust him after seeing his paw and especially after how he lashed out at her and her friends back in the forest when they met. He wanted to redeem himself and so he decided to speak.

„Mist.. I'm so sorry for how I almost attacked you, Thunder and Hawk in the forest. I know it wasn't a good first impression but I have issues with meeting new wolves. I regret not wanting to take you in at first, as now I see you all deserve to be here," he said, looking straight into her mesmerising eyes.

„Oh, I... I don't know what to say. Well, I guess your apology is accepted. I just hope your Alpha eventualy starts trusting us. Now, tell me what really happened," she said, looking down at Swift's bloodstained paw.

„Oh, right... Uhmmm... Well, Rain and Dawn told me something and I got a little mad and accidentaly scratched Dawn's shoulder..." he said quiltly.

„Who injures their own cousin just because they got a little mad at them?" she narrowed her eyes.

„It... It was about my brother... He died some time ago and I still feel a bit upset about it. It's hard to get over his death."

„O-oh... I'm sorry, I didn't know..." she quickly apologized.

„No no, it's fine. I understand. You don't have to be sorry, you did nothing wrong," Swift said and stood up, „I better go wash my paw..."

Mist nodded and he walked away to the pond in the middle of the camp, drinking some of it's water and diving his paw in to wash off the blood.