✧Chapter 20✧

Swift was laying in a nest in Dawn's den, Mist in the den right next to him and Beta was there too. Dawn had a lot of work treating all of their wounds from the fight with the three foxes that invaded Alpha's den. Mist killed one of them and even saved Swift when he was close to dying. He never knew she was so good at fighting. The sun started rising soon after the battle and wolves started waking up. Dawn has finished her job and finaly sat down to rest, her shoulder still patched up.

„Thanks for saving me," Swift said to Mist, who was laying next to him with her eyes closed. She opened them as soon as she heard him.

„You're welcome," she whispered, looking exhausted after all the fighting.

„Can I ask you something? Where did you get such good fighting skills?" he asked her, half not expecting an answer.

Mist was silent for a while, staring off into space and probably finding the right words. Then she spoke quietly, „From expirience."

Swift wanted to say something but as he opened his mouth, he noticed Mist had closed her eyes and started snoring a little bit. Swift found her and her snoring cute and not wanting to wake her up, he silently curled up and closed his eyes to rest.

His mind hovewer wasn't really cooperative and he just ended up being lost in his thoughts. Wind's death, Dawn's injury, which he still felt quilty about, Rain's hatred towards Alpha, Mist's unexpected and surprising strength. He got stuck on thoughts about Mist, the beautifull silver she-wolf with stunning yellow eyes and a red cardinal feather behind her right ear. He opened his eyes to look at her, but found out she was no where to be found. He stood up, looking around the den. Dawn was laying in her nest, Beta in the nest next to her. Swift haven't really minding what was going on around him, however he heard Beta say that she wanted to stay in Dawn's den until she had her puppies.

Swift walked out of the den in search for Mist. He noticed Thunder and Hawk sitting by the pond and walked up to them, curious if they know where their friend is.

„Oh, hi Swift. Why weren't you and Mist in the den when we woke up, and why are you all bandaged up?" asked Thunder, „And where is-,"

„Three foxes attacked Alpha and Beta, so me and Mist fought them off. Speaking of Mist, where is she?" Swift interrupted him mid sentence, urgent to find the silver she-wolf.

„That's what I wanted to ask you," Thunder answered, visibly annoyed by how Swift didn't let him finish his question.

Both of them fell silent, almost not even breathing. Swift was scared for Mist's safety and it was clear Thunder was too. They stared into each other's eyes for a moment, before Hawk broke the awkward silence.

„We should search for her or something. But knowing her, she's deffinitly somewhere out hunting again," he said.

„No, I don't think so. She was injured and tired from the fox fight, so much so that she even fell asleep before my very eyes. I don't think she would go hunting in this state," Swift said concerningly still fearing for his friend.

They started searching the camp for her, hoping for any scent trail. Swift searched behind Dawn's den and came across a hint. A single red feather, a cardinal feather, Mist's cardinal feather. He got a bit scared but then heard pawsteps. So he took the feather and went to the clearing to see who it was. It was Mist, who had just sat down and watched the sky. Surprised and happy at the same time, he walked up to her.

„Oh, hi Swift," she greeted him.

„Where were you?" he asked.

„Here, in camp. Where else should I be?"

Swift pushed the cardinal feather forward and looked at her with a suspisious smile. „Missng something?" he asked. Mist looked at the feather and realized what was happening.

„Oh, I must have lost it," she smiled and laughed.

„Behind Dawn's den,"

„I was... Just... Doing my business," she said nervously.

Swift sighed, gaving her the feather back and she put it back behind her right ear. He didn't believe she was telling the truth but he wasn't in the moon to further talk about it. He heard pawsteps coming closer to them and turned his head towards the sounds, finding out it was Thunder and Hawk. They both sat down beside Swift and Mist.

„Where were you Mist?" said Thunder, looking tired, as if all his enegry has suddenly been sucked away.

„Just doing waste. Don't complain Thunder. You turd all the time and it smells so bad that my nose wants to fall off, grow legs and run away as fast as it could," Mist teased the short wolf. Swift burst out, laughing so hard at her joke and Hawk let out a small, yet amused chuckle. Thunder turned a bit red and looked away but then he seemed to notice something.

„What's with your tail?" he asked Swift.

He looked at his shortened tail that was still wrapped in leaves on the end.

„Oh, a bunch of rocks fell on it and wounded it. Then it got infected, so Star had to rip of the tip and properly treat it," he answered, a bit embarassed by it.

„Heh, I can call you stumpy tail, that's perfect!" Thunder laughed.

Swift giggled, before turning his head around and catching a glimpse of Dawn sitting in front of her den all by herself, looking at him but then turning away and walking inside. He felt a pang of guilt. Swift didn't realize it but lately he was focusing more on Thunder, Hawk and especially Mist and growing more distant from Dawn and Rain. He started thinking, that maybe he wasn't a part of the prophecy at all.