Chapter Two: All Caught Up

Photo: Justin in 1999/ what Justin wears to the park.

Video: Footage of Aaliyah and Beyonce

It had been a week since I met the "Are you that somebody" singer. I was so anxious to call her but I didn't want a bad reaction. Eventually, I decided to man up and just do it. I picked the house phone up from the couch and looked at her digits in my hand. I dialed the numbers with my index finger hastily. But, I ain't put in the last digit.

"Maybe I shouldn't call her," I said in doubt of myself. I ran my fingertips through my blonde curly hair, frustrated than ever. I couldn't keep my eyes off the paper. Then, I threw the phone back on the couch, staring at it afterwards. I gave her my number too so I thought maybe she would call me.

I walked towards my bedroom which was near the kitchen and entered inside, closing the door from behind. Out of nowhere, the phone rang. Ring! Ring! I quickly opened the door, running over towards the couch. Damn I felt so desperate! I answered the call but--it isn't Aaliyah.

"Hey man, don't be calling my girl's number no more or else I'll kill-" I hung up on him instantly.

"Wrong number again," I sighed deeply.

I plopped back down on my black couch, covering my face in shame. The remaining sound in the room was nothing but the fan blowing. I couldn't fathom why I was being such a bitch. No other girl made me feel that way. Then out of nowhere, I gained some hope. My eyes squinted at the phone angrily. Determination to be exact. I roughly grasped the phone again, dialing the same number. I recall being on hold for like five seconds until she answered.

"Hello?"

It's Aaliyah!

What am I going to do?

What am I going to say?

Those words ran through my skull.

"Holy shit," I whispered low enough for her to not hear.

"Hello," she asked again, surprisingly patient. All Aaliyah heard was breathing from my nose. Stupidly, I hung up the damn phone. I repeat; I hung up the damn phone. Why? Because I was stupid and childish. A very stupid and childish person.

"What is wrong with you? Talk to her!" I'm yelling at myself. So, I called Aaliyah again and the phone rang...for the fifteenth time. She picked up again.

Aaliyah greeted, "Hel-"

You can guess what happened next. I didn't even let her finish. My heart did beat very fast. Fast for her.

I argued with myself, "You are a bitch JT! Just talk to her! Talk to her! I will slap you until your face turns red if you don't-"

I heard the apartment door open and turned around, seeing a frightened JC. I hid the phone behind my back, waving at him. His face expression made my situation even worse.

"Was this bad timing or-"

"N-no! Have a seat man," I said quickly, sweating like crazy.

JC leisurely closed the door, looking at me like I'm on drugs. I guess I talked to myself out loud too much. My friend took a seat on the couch, patting it down because he wanted me to sit beside him. I already knew what was coming. His eyes were wide open at me. I felt more of wimp than a idiot. I cautiously plopped back down on the couch, looking down.

"What I just uh heard and saw; is kind of making me want to call a doctor or therapist because you have been acting weird lately," JC began, staring at me.