40. 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗱𝗮𝘆 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘄𝗼𝗿𝗹𝗱 𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁 𝘀𝗶𝗹𝗲𝗻𝘁

"HOW'S FREEDOM TREATING YOU?"

Eszter propped the phone against her cheek and shoulder while she loaded groceries into her cart.

It's only been six days after their big fight with Agatha and Wanda becoming the Scarlet Witch. Eventually, Wanda gave up Westview and said goodbye to the family she never got to have; it was an emotional day for the sisters, but it's been more devastating for Wanda. After Wanda had put her boys to sleep and said farewell to her beloved husband, Eszter could see that her sister was anything but healed.

Like an opened wound, the fantasy of her family was like a fruit; they were sweet until they weren't. Wanda never properly gave up the ideal life she yearned for. She grieved for Tommy and Billy as if they had died and mourned the loss of the man she loved for another time. Wanda couldn't seem to catch a break.

"It's different," Wesley chimed through the line. Eszter could practically feel his smile through the speaker. "Good different. I couldn't go somewhere because I wanted to without Agatha forcing me to practice more spells."

Eszter smiled softly at the thought; she was happy for him. After decades of being bonded to a psychotic witch like Agatha, Wesley was finally allowed to be a kid again. He was robbed of his childhood after the witch manipulated a young Wesley.

It was almost strange; after everything had gone array in Westview, everyone went their separate ways. Eszter wasn't sure whatever happened to Monica and her friends, nor did she know what ever happened to Wesley. Even though Eszter encouraged him to leave, it was as if she felt lonely all over again. While Wanda was great company, Eszter knew the empty hole in Wanda's heart would never be filled.

Eszter's company wasn't enough for Wanda, and she was beginning to understand. Part of Eszter was yearning for her friends. They were always there beside her since she moved to New York, and being away from them for so long feels abnormal. Lonely is what it really is. Eszter misses her friends more than anything. It was like this bottomless pit in her heart, wishing to be filled, but nothing she did would fill the void.

"That's good to hear," Eszter hums, practically distracted. She absentmindedly tossed a few items into the cart. Some are nonperishable, and some she can easily snack on.

Wesley mumbled something under his breath but spoke louder into the speaker. "Everything good since I left?"

Eszter paused as she picked up a loaf of bread, but her breath was caught in her throat. Should she even tell Wesley everything that's been going on? It wasn't Wesley's concern what Eszter did, nor should it be his responsibility. Eszter promised he would find a way out with Agatha, and she did. Wesley was finally getting the life he never got the chance to get. Wouldn't that just make Eszter selfish for reeling him back in?

Besides, Eszter had everything under control.

Shaking the thoughts from her head, Eszterter dropped the bread carelessly into the cart and pushed it down the aisle. "Yeah," Eszter chirped into the line. Eszter slouched against the cart. "It's been . . . an eventful couple of days. Wands and I have been lying low ever since everything that's happened, and it's been . . ." Eszter stalled for an answer.

However, Wesley seemed to understand her silence. "I'm sorry. I know it couldn't have been easy for your sister," silence carried the conversation. "Sooo. I've been meaning to ask . . ."

"Well, spit it out, then, Wes."

"Wes?"

She rolls her eyes. "I'm gonna hang up."