18

Lucifer couldn't do much in that situation. Or he could have, if he had wanted to. But although he hated to admit it, it was actually a good idea. It would be a piece of cake to prove how happy Arella was there, or at least that's what he thought.

That's how they were sitting at the table, Lucifer and Michael both staring at each other in a tense environment, and Ari between them playing with Spikey (which was handed to her from Beleth). She didn't pay much attention to the men that felt like killing each other until Amos brought their food.

"Daddy" she complained, "I don't like carrots"

Truth be told, she did love carrots back on Earth. But they somehow tasted different in Hell, and her feeling like her little self wasn't helping.

"I thought you loved them. You still need to eat them"

Arella just pouted. She didn't want to be troublesome twice in the day, but at the same time, the girl really didn't feel like eating meat with those carrots. She was thinking that, maybe if she could eat only the meat and make an effort to eat a few bites of carrots, that'd be enough.

Lucifer didn't need to read her mind to know what she was thinking about, so he simply glanced at her in a warning look.

"Mmm it's a shame Ari doesn't want to eat her carrots" Michael dramatically sighed. "I had a surprise gift for her if she ate her whole meal"

"A gift?" She asked with curious eyes.

"You thought I would come here without a gift for you, sweetie?"

"You don't need to give her anything. You're just here to watch us, and I can give her whatever you bring 100 times better" Lucifer intervened, pink eyes directing to Michael as he looked at him with a playful look on his face.

Anyway, Arella still finished her meal not wanting both men to kill each other, and made grabby hands to Lucifer once she was done. He took her but didn't want the girl to take a nap, because he, as he understood how time worked there, knew it was late to do so. That's why he bounced her a little receiving a few whines from Ari.

He suggested her to go play with some new toys he had brought for her from Earth, although he wouldn't admit que was actually surprised of how entertaining those things human sold were so entertaining for the girl.

"Stay with you" Ari said. She was feeling too shy and clingy now that Michael was there with them.

"We need to have a grow-up conversation, baby. I promise I'll be with you later"

"Daddy" she pleaded with watery eyes. Maybe because she was sleepy and wasn't in the best mood, and Ari never loved the idea of being by herself in Hell, so she still wanted to be with him.

Lucifer couldn't scold her. He was a scary demon that could make anyone fear him forever by just looking at them in the eyes, but he had a soft spot for his little girl. He couldn't blame her for being too shy and, well, wanting him to be with her. So he just kept rubbing her back for a while. Michael had no words at this point.

He couldn't believe his eyes. If it was possible, he'd immediately thought he went crazy, but it wasn't the case: a little girl like Arella was clinging to Lord Lucifer, the king of hell. She was resting her head on his shoulder and hugging him as if he was the best guy ever.

Lucifer did take this as a small opportunity to show Michael their relationship too, so he looked at the angel with an 'I told you' expression.

"Wanna go play with your toys now?" He asked to his little girl, hoping she'd just say yes.

"Yes, daddy"

"Don't give me that pout. We'll have your favorite nuggets and ice cream after dinner. I don't have much work to finish right now, so if you be good, we'll watch a movie too. Yeah?"

"Okay!" she shyly smiled.

Arella left, leaving the two men to talk together. Lucifer had ordered Cleon and Gareth not to intervene as he wanted to discuss terms and all with him in private. He didn't want anyone to bother, maybe in case something big happened.

Michael was about to take a seat but Lucifer didn't seem like he was going to do so, so he regretted it and just stood there thinking what to say.

"You've seen how she likes me. Now go"

"You know I can't do that. Yes, she seems very comfortable here, but that doesn't mean it's a good thing for her to be in such... place with your friends. I'll be staying for a while, no matter what you do. Trust me I don't love the idea of not being in Heaven either, Lucifer"

"And I have to trust your words? That you'll leave and 'let' Arella stay here with me after all of this is done, even if she can prove to you that she belongs in here?" he sarcastically laughed. He really wanted to beat Michael, but he couldn't do so and he knew that.

"I told you I wouldn't want Ari to be unhappy. I wasn't lying. Believe it or not, I've seen sad peop- souls, and it's not a pleasant sight. Not for me, at least" he muttered the last part to himself. "But either way, this small thing isn't enough for me to prove anyone that she can stay"

Lucifer groaned and didn't say anything else. He simply left to take a look at his little girl, who was tiredly playing with some dolls she had found with a plushie next to her. It was an adorable sight, and Lucifer suddenly felt powerless thinking that she could be taken away any minute, but he was determined to prevent that from happening. He also knew he had lots of work to do, like guide new souls into Hell or torturing some popular people he knew deserved something worse than what Cleon or Gareth could do, or any other demons.

Lucifer wasn't really worried about leaving Arella with that man because he trusted he wouldn't harm her in any way, but he still hated the idea of Michael even being close to them.

Michael saw the distress on his face and thought he needed to do something about it, not because of him, obviously, but because of the little girl.

"You can go, I'll watch her"

"Say it on more time and I'll kill you"

The angel rolled his eyes and stepped closer, his pure white wings laying peacefully on his back.

"I know you hate me, and if I were that kind of angel, I would too. But this isn't about us. I believe Ari get scared of those... creatures you call demons? No wonder, respectfully"

Defeated, he sighed. Lucifer grabbed Michael by his neck, and he smirked knowing something like that would happen.

"Listen, Michael. If you try something weird, or even make her feel slightly uncomfortable, I won't mind starting a new war. One that I know I could win"

"Yeah, that's what you said last time- okay okay, I was joking. Let go, I told you many times I don't intend to hurt Ari at all"

Lucifer let him go after a few seconds of staring at him deeply in his eyes, and sighed. He simply left not wanting to say bye to Arella, or she would've wanted him to stay or go with him, which obviously couldn't happen. Lucifer also talked to Michael about important stuff while leaving like when she needed to eat or get a bath. Yes, basically like a babysitter.

Michael didn't say much about it. It wasn't his first time seeing a little like Arella, even if his job wasn't anything like that in Heaven.

Time worked differently in Heaven, of course. Souls were more like their age, unlike in Hell. Either way, Michael knew what to do.